LiveFight
December 16, 2017, 11:11:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pacquiao/clottey: final assessment  (Read 2605 times)
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

Hiya,

I'd love to read your opinions on the attributes of both boxers. Could we keep the 'likes' and 'dislikes' out of it and stick to an analysis of three or four points, please.

physiological, psychological, mental and preparation/camp/coach

There are some here, who analyze fighters, there opponents and boxing history, guys who know much more about it than I do or can.

First, I think that by purely physical attributes, Clottey stands a good chance: taller, rangier, strong, perhaps a bit thin in the waist (i.e. not as compact as Manny), a strong double defense and hard puncher. He can get caught though and knocked down (Cotto) but gets up and on with it. I do not know about his special punches and combos, his stamina... etc

Manny has less reach, is built more compact like a pit-bull, everyone knows about his speed power and how he can walk through punches (e.g. Cotto)

Can Clottey capitalize on his own solid double defense? If he had or has the tactical boxing brains of an Arthur Abraham, I would say yes. But how is he going to work his vital jab from the double defense? Which one will he choose? Will Manny allow him to choose, bearing in mind how Cotto for example relinquished this weapon early on in their fight?

I know very little about Clottey's coach, camp and prep ... but it's an easy call to say that they could hardly beat the perfectionist-pair Roach/Pacman. I also doubt that Clottey can beat Pacman's boxing brains.

Bottom line, if Clottey were to somehow combine his double defense together with working his jab properly, reading pacman's moves for a while and then try to apply what he's learned during the middle and later rounds, he may have a good chance (a chance he has anyway) thanks also to his strength and reach.

But I think he will falter like Cotto after a few rounds. Manny will check him during the first one or two, then crank up the pressure, which will force Clottey to fight for dear live, a pressure under which he may well lose his control, neglect the jab and resort to hard power shots, which may well miss and drain him.

Okee, the ball's in your field. As I said, my opinion is not based on that much hard facts and experience but I would love to hear from you some analytical points.

Cheers!  Evil

LiveFight
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

King Cotto
Executive Member

If you don't learn from it, experience means shit

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »

You've given your own answer me thinks. The pacman is gonna do a Cotto on Clottey... too fast, too strong, too prepared, too intelligent as a fighter for Clottey... I hope Clottey will give Manny a good fight and last into the later rounds (for the viewers and his self-respect)

I'm not writing this cause I like Manny. He will beat Clottey coz of the above points and then he will lose against Mayweather unfortunately if the fight ever takes place

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »

Manny holds too many of the advantages to make this fight anything more than a chance of a KO for Clottey. Manny does get hit. That's never been in question. His chin seems to be getting better the higher up he goes. it's how much Clottey can hurt him if he lands and also what he manages to land. Manny will hit him far more often and I'm sure that a lot of the sting will be gone out of Clottey's punches by the second half of the fight. I fear that should he receeed into his shell like he did for the end of the Cotto fight, through either stamina or psychological issues then the supremely fight Pacquaio will start unloading and will any ref allow a fighter, however strong his chin, take that punishment unanswered?
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »

A lot of people, especially those that were in the Garden that night, thought that Clottey beat Cotto so I'm of the opinion that Joshua deserves this shot.

Joshua will be the first proper Welterweight that Manny has fought. Bert Sugar has said that Clottey has gone all the way up to 170lbs to fight before.

Oscar, Hatton and Cotto were fighters who fought at Welter but were not Welterweights from the start, Clottey is and will have natural Welterweight power.

Clottey also possesses a good jab and even a very tired Cotto managed to stop Manny in his tracks at times with his own jab.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to styles, I believe Manny wins this by late stoppage or on points due to Joshua letting his foot off the gas again but Manny will be in for a more rougher time than we think.

Check out my articles at: http://www.ringnews 24.com (all one word)
CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

Manny to win UD but will get hit more often as his head has doubled in size over the last year.  Shocked

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

bigguy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »

decent fight.
infamousstyles

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »

the fight was decent. Clottey's defense is really good. I just wish he would have thrown more.
King Cotto
Executive Member

If you don't learn from it, experience means shit

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

I gave Clottey more rounds (at least 3) as he got Manny when he decided to punch. But he didn't deserve anything but loose and loose with shame. He seemed obviously content to show that Manny was unable to break through his defense ... bad attitude especially during a title bout.

I much much preferred Cotto's attitude - not his tactics and style - at least Cotto went into the fight trying his best to beat the Pacman.

Can't help feeling that Mayweather will take Manny to school after seeing how Clottey made light play of his defense. But that's been opined on already somewhere else here and i dont need to regurgitate it.

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: