LiveFight
October 22, 2017, 10:04:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antonio Tarver - Heavyweight  (Read 2073 times)
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »

Forgot about this after the fight and not seen it mentioned....

He said something along the lines of "You can see I've put some pounds on, I'm going to turn it to muscle and move up to Heavyweight so watch out the Klitschko's and Haye"

Could make a few quid in fights with the brothers or Haye but I don't see him beating any of them..
LiveFight
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »

Smithy
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:26 PM »

By Mark Vester

Former light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver has issued a warning to the current heavyweight champions. Tarver (27-6, 19 KOs), 41-years-old, plans to move up by two divisions to make a run at heavyweight. Tarver lost his last two bouts, both coming by way of decision to Chad Dawson.

The move in weight is similar to that of current heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek. The Polish puncher was dominated by Dawson over twelve rounds and then moved up to cruiserweight to rule the division and is now making a serious run at heavyweight. Tarver plans to target Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, and David Haye. Tarver has not fought since last May. He was trying to make a fight earlier this year with Danny Green at cruiserweight but the fight fell through.

"I definitely wanted to move up to cruiserweight where there was one guy in particular that I wanted to fight. So I feel that if I'm going to stay in the game of boxing and give it my all, then I've got to set big goals for myself. And as you see, I'm looking a little full right now," said Tarver.

"I'm going to put on some muscle and the champ is going heavyweight. So, to the Klitschkos and to David Haye, be on the look out, because I'm coming."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28658

Fair Play if he tries but both Klitschkos and haye win by KO for me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:08:33 PM by Smithy » Logged
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »

another mess not willing to put in the training to make weight in the lower divisons. either klitschko would kill him inside 4 rounds!!
styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »

Even a 94 year old Sly Stallone took him the distance.
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »

Tarver has lived off the back of Roy Jones for years, he was naff at Light Heavyweight, he will get murdered at Heavyweight

At 41 he doesnt stand a chance with Adamek, let alone Haye and the Klitschko's

LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »

Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:55:17 AM »

He could get seriously hurt. 40 plus is not the time to be making a debut 25lbs plus above your best fighting weight.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Methodical4u
Executive Member

I cheat :-)

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »

I saw him talking about this after the Ward vs. Green fight, but thought i'd post it in case someone missed it.

Former light heavyweight (175 pounds) world champion, Antonio Tarver, said that he plans to return to the ring soon -- but as a heavyweight.

"I definitely wanted to move up to cruiserweight [200 pounds,] where there was one guy in particular that I wanted to fight. So I feel that if I'm going to stay in the game of boxing and give it my all, then I've got to set big goals for myself. And as you see, I'm looking a little full right now," said Tarver, a 6-foot-2 southpaw who will turn 42 in November.

"So I'm going to put on some muscle and the champ is going heavyweight," said Tarver, who will target the Klitschko brothers, WBO and IBF king Wladimir (54-3, 48 KOs), WBC champ, Vitali (39-2, 37 KOs), and, WBA titlist, David Haye (24-1, 22 KOs). "So, to the Klitschkos and to David Haye, be on the look out, because I'm coming."

The 41-year-old Tarver (27-6, 19 knockouts) made his announcement following Saturday night's unanimous decision by WBA super middleweight (168 pounds) champion, Andre Ward (22-0, 13 KOs) over Allan Green (29-2, 20 KOs) that was televised on Showtime from The Oracle Arena, in Oakland, Calif.

A Showtime boxing color commentator, Tarver has lost his last two bouts, respectively, to Chad Dawson by unanimous decision in October of 2008, and, May of 2009.

Among the biggest victories for Tarver are those over Roy Jones, against whom he is 2-1, with one second-round knockout victory.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/06/20/antonio-tarver-to-make-ring-return-as-a-heavyweight/
HurricaneHig
V.I.P
Executive Member

Any two will do?

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

I think it will actually be a good move for tarver, spice up the heavyweight division. Good read Meth IQ

Adversity and the 'big occasion' doesn't change a fighter - it only reveals them.
mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »

He was a pretty handy Heavyweight in Rocky anyway  Grin
Jambonhead
V.I.P
Executive Member

...AND THE NEW!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »

VIP knew about this 2 weeks ago due to inside info!

Grin

Cant see him being big enough to trouble the klits but he might be able to scare haye as theyre basically the same height.

He doesnt have much drawing power at the moment tho and would need 2 fights at heavy to establish himself as a legit contender before anyone in the top 10 would take him seriously

Bunce-''right Im not sure whats going with the walk ins so lets just listen to some mariachi music and look at the corona girls''

''Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'' - Mike Tyson
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: