LiveFight
January 23, 2018, 10:06:34 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kell Brook and Michael Jennings speak out  (Read 867 times)
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »

Kell Brook and Michael Jennings speak out
Craig Birch hears from Brook and Jennings on their big clash
PROTECTED? Jennings says Brook has not fought a 'real' opponentPROTECTED? Jennings says Brook has not fought a 'real' opponent

FEW pairs of fighters go head-to-head feeling they have more to prove than Kell Brook and Michael Jennings. For Brook, it's the gateway to prove once and for all that is capable of fulfilling his undoubted potential as a world-class fighter. For Jennings he's been there and done it – won the British and WBU titles, but lost his shot at the vacant WBO crown in five rounds to Miguel Cotto last year.

He may have got to box at Madison Square Garden in the process, but his September 18 opponent Brook, at age 24, has something Jennings craves – a Lonsdale Belt outright.

In this 32-year-old's mind, it's not about proving his worth but proving he has still got enough left in the tank to do it all again.

We have certainly had to wait long enough for the fight to happen with this the FOURTH time the two have been paired. Brook has twice pulled out, first with a viral infection and then with a rib injury, but has assured so-far-disappointed fans that he is ready to go this time, at Birmingham's LG Arena.

He said: “I am super-fit now, there’s nothing wrong with me and I am gliding. I am going to turn up on fight night and I hope when I stare at the other end of the ring Jennings is in front of me.

“People expect big things from me because I am meant to be a superstar, so it’s been frustrating. But, touch wood, I can get through this and afterwards things keep rolling.

“I want a World title shot by the end of the year and then to dominate the division, be the main man for years and smash everyone in my path.”

If Jennings’ luck over the last few months was made into a movie it would be the biggest tearjerker going, with his one pull-out against “Special Kell” the result of injuring his hand beating Brook’s late replacement Laszlo Komjathi in Liverpool last October. That led to their fight, set for Newcastle last December, again being called off before being rescheduled for Preston earlier this month, before Brook injured his ribs in training back in May.

But Jennings ploughed on and set up a fight with John O'Donnell as Brook's replacement for the British title, only for the former Commonwealth champion to himself pull out with a back injury.

Again Jennings refused to give in and lined up an eight-rounder against Midlands title-holder Dean Harrison, only for the Preston show to be called off altogether days later.

“The Chorley Lurcher” was for the umpteenth time left gutted but is pretty much used to it, after a run of bad luck that started with losing the domestic title on points to Young Mutley when he was one win away from an outright Lonsdale Belt in 2006.

He said: “I must be the unluckiest boxer going after everything that has happened over the last few months alone, but now finally it looks like it’s going to happen.

“I have been chasing another British title shot for years but there is still time for me to get it back and win a Lonsdale Belt outright. I don’t think age is going to be an issue because I feel as fit as I did when I was 25.

“It’s a pride thing for me as well, because you are only as good as your last fight. I have got as much riding on this as I did on the last one. I am not talking about defeat because I am not a negative thinker – I am going to win.”

The one thing Jennings has over his opponent is experience, having first turned pro in 1999 just weeks after Brook turned 13. Eleven years and 38 fights down the line and Jennings has only lost twice, to Mutley and Cotto.

Brook has put away 21 straight opponents with relative ease, but even the unbeaten Sheffield stylist concedes it will be no walk in the park this time.

He said: “Jennings is definitely the best kid I have boxed, he’s been around for years and the respect will be there on my behalf, but come fight night he’s my worst enemy.

“He thinks he has experience over me but what he doesn’t realise is boxing is all I know, I have been doing it since I was nine years old.

“This fight is going to bring the best out in me and, you just watch, come September 18 he is getting it.”

Jennings has taken note of that impressive record, especially with 14 knockouts in 21 victories. Brook's tear to the British title claimed Barrie Jones and Kevin McIntyre as victims, along with a WBA Inter-Continental title triumph against Krzysztof Bienias last time out.

But Jennings feels he brings more to the table than any opponent before him.

He said: “You look at Kell’s record on paper and, although some of the people he has been boxing have not been up to much, he’s been destroying them.

“But he hasn’t boxed anyone like me before, so let’s see what he is like when he has got a real opponent in there with him.”
LiveFight
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »

Flo
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »

Jenning's latest Facebook status is a bit worrying! "Michael Jennings: Don't want to do this, but I have to:("
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »

Jenning's latest Facebook status is a bit worrying! "Michael Jennings: Don't want to do this, but I have to:("

Panic over  Wink
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: