LiveFight
November 20, 2018, 12:17:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotto vs Clottey - Discuss the fight ***SPOILER***  (Read 35662 times)
Haynesey

'Can that man fight.' Larry Merchant

« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

Saying Cotto has no heart is the single most inane thing ive ever read on Livefight ( and ive read a lot of Apollo's posts )

By your logic, because Cotto quit against Margarito he has no heart?

So did Roberto Duran have no heart either? remember Duran Vs Leonard II ??

I thought saying Cotto had no brain was the most inane thing you had ever read?

If you had cared to actually look through my posts before commenting than you would realise that I have not claimed that Cotto had no heart, just that is was still in question after quitting against Antonio. This is not an unreasonable comment in my opinion, although I'm sure you think otherwise.

Duran-Leonard was under different circumstances, a worthy debate that would warrant it's own thread.
LiveFight
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

If you had cared to actually look through my posts before commenting than you would realise that I have not claimed that Cotto had no heart, just that is was still in question after quitting against Antonio. This is not an unreasonable comment in my opinion, although I'm sure you think otherwise.

Duran-Leonard was under different circumstances, a worthy debate that would warrant it's own thread.

It was, then i read that and it overtook it

you cant cite different circumstance, if a fighter quits he quits regardles of situation and circumstance and by your logic if he quits that means no ( or little ) heart.

The fact is you dont like Cotto, which is fine, but to say he has questionable heart is down right disrespectful

IrishPaddy
Executive Member

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »

Just waiting to board my flight home so thought id check in and see what comments are being posted on the fight. To me,and also probably the vast majority of people that were there, thought Clottey bossed the fight. It probably shouldnt be classed as a robbery since it was relatively close. Im looking forward to watching it on tv,but i dont think my opinion will change. Cotto looked shaken at almost anything Clottey threw. I was very surprised when I first read that people thought it was a close fight. I initially thought it was a robbery...but i will reserve further judgement until i see the replay(and not drunk...)
Gavin
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »

I dont think many people could have swallowed as much blood as Cotto did and fought for as long as he did. The boy has shed loads of heart.

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2009, 07:22:51 AM »

Just waiting to board my flight home so thought id check in and see what comments are being posted on the fight. To me,and also probably the vast majority of people that were there, thought Clottey bossed the fight. It probably shouldnt be classed as a robbery since it was relatively close. Im looking forward to watching it on tv,but i dont think my opinion will change. Cotto looked shaken at almost anything Clottey threw. I was very surprised when I first read that people thought it was a close fight. I initially thought it was a robbery...but i will reserve further judgement until i see the replay(and not drunk...)

Like alot of fights mate it must have looked different from the arena. I've seen the fight 3 or 4 times on t.v now, and every time I give it to Cotto by at least 2 rds. Have a look when you get home and let us know what you think.
LiveFight
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2009, 07:22:51 AM »

Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »

Watched the fight again last night and have to sat im still unconvinced Cotto won. Yes Clottey could of quite easily of won the fight by throwing a few more punches in the last 2 rounds. But for me he just shaved it or at least got a draw. Great fight though. Good year so far for action long may in continue  Smiley
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »

so glad that cotto beat the dirty b*stard , imo clottey left his head in there intentionally and u could see him rubbing his head on the cut as soon as it happened , then after when he seen the state of cotto's eye he started jumping around smiling , add to that him trying to get cotto DQ (u could see in his face that he was thinking about pulling one when he fell) iam so glad cotto beat the pr*ck with one eye.

But its ok for Cotto to punch in the back of the head and throw his opponent to the floor.

I agree Clottey made a meal of the fall/throw but a punch on the back of the head is just that..
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

But its ok for Cotto to punch in the back of the head and throw his opponent to the floor.

I agree Clottey made a meal of the fall/throw but a punch on the back of the head is just that..

It was never a throw in a million years, Cotto turned Clottey in the corner and he slipped (as he did a couple of times throughout the fight on the canvas)

As for the punch to the back of the head, it was hardly intentional, Cotto was throwing the punch when Clottey turned his back on him. Even the Ref warned Clottey for turning his back

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »

How? Duran knew he didn't train properly and didn't want to get knocked down.

Cotto did the best thing for his health. He was swallowing his own blood and couldn't breath properly. He didn't have the oxygen needed to fuel his muscles and get away from Margarito. He was getting knocked out in the round anyway. Have you ever been in the same situation? If not I think it's a bit much taking such a hard stance on it. It's not as if he stopped when he had a chance to win. He could have been hurt badly if he carried on. It doesn't reflect on his heart in my opinion.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20473

Miguel Cotto: “I Had a Duty To Finish The Fight”
Posted by: Mark Vester on 06-16-2009.

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto felt a sense of duty to finish his fight with Joshua Clottey last Saturday at New York’s Madison Square Garden. In the early rounds, Cotto suffered a serious cut above his left eye from a clash of heads and the blood flowed heavy for most of the fight.

There has been some criticism that Cotto, or his corner, should have allowed the doctor to stop the fight because of the serious nature of the cut and Cotto’s left eye being impaired due to the river of blood coming down. He was able to finish the fight and won a spit-decision on the cards.

“I prepared myself for what happened, for a war, and I was not going to allow an injury to stop the fight. I was not going to throw everything away and lose what I had worked for. My vision wasn’t the best, but I wanted to continue fighting. Besides, there was an audience there and it was my responsibility to give them a fight. With that in mind, and my family in mind, I finished the fight," Cotto told Primera Hora.

Cotto expects at least two to three months for the cut to heal He should be ready to fight by mid-November. His promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, is trying to match him with Manny Pacquiao on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. He is willing to fight Pacquiao under the right deal.

“We still don’t know anything concrete. I must sit down and talk with [Top Rank]. If the conditions are acceptable, we will agree to the fight,” Cotto said.

The bout with Clottey was his first with new trainer Joe Santiago and new cutman Joe Chavez. There are rumors going around that Emanuel Steward may come on board with Cotto’s team for the Pacquiao fight. Cotto would not confirm or deny the talk.

"Everything that might be beneficial for my career, we are going to discuss.  Nevertheless, I have that to say that I am very pleased and I’m very fond of the work by my team,” said Cotto.

"Mistakes, we all committed them. There are things that have to discuss and to resolve. There are things that I realized during the fight and they realized during the fight. We are a team and as a team we will resolve everything.”

They don't sound like the actions of someone with no heart.
G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »

I think it can definitely look different live than on TV - i remember someone texting me from the Mayweather-DLH fight like it was one of the biggest robberies ever.

Cotto soaked up some good shots but he never really looked that hurt to me - certainly less than he was against say Judah.
dave j

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

i dont think clottey milked it half as much as people make out,,the ref said he could have five minutes rest,,how long did he actually take?  when you look at the incident,,it doesnt look like much really,but when i was walking down the round and i slightly lost my balance and my foot slightly went wonky it probably looked like fcuk alll,,yet i was in agony for the rest of the day with a twisted ankle(then again im just a big panzy) Smiley
Marks1

Bolton unveil their new backroom staff

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »

In fairness mate, Clottey didn't really give him an option, he turned his back.
Haynesey

'Can that man fight.' Larry Merchant

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »

It was, then i read that and it overtook it

you cant cite different circumstance, if a fighter quits he quits regardles of situation and circumstance and by your logic if he quits that means no ( or little ) heart.

The fact is you dont like Cotto, which is fine, but to say he has questionable heart is down right disrespectful

But you didn't read that, as I did not post that Cotto has no heart, I gave him credit for his courageousness in the Clottey bout but claimed that it did not completey erase the question marks that occured after the Margarito defeat.

There were different circumstances, Duran was not taking a beating, he was being clowned and disrespected by Leonard, it is obviously a very debatable topic that I have not fully researched, although I am aware of a number of factors and possibilities that contributed towards Duran's quitting. It is far more complicated than the Margarito-Cotto fight, which simply saw a man quit when on the verge of being stopped.

You clearly do not know the facts, so why post that? I do not dislike him, I am not a fan, but I respect what he has achieved and love his attitude and approach to the sport, I do not think that my claims that he lacks in intelligence and heart were inane when looking at the Margarito bout, although I have already admitted that he has mostly proved me wrong in the Clottey fight and that my opinion of him has risen.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:43:34 PM by Haynesey » Logged
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »

i dont think clottey milked it half as much as people make out,,the ref said he could have five minutes rest,,how long did he actually take?  when you look at the incident,,it doesnt look like much really,but when i was walking down the round and i slightly lost my balance and my foot slightly went wonky it probably looked like fcuk alll,,yet i was in agony for the rest of the day with a twisted ankle(then again im just a big panzy) Smiley

He got up and there was F*ck all wrong with him when he decided he could be arsed to fight on, literally seconds after writhing around in agony. His movement was not remotely impaired at any stage after the incident, so I would suggest that he definitely milked it an tried to buy an extra point via deduction. Compared to Cotto having his eye split open after a clash of heads and barely flinching, I would say Clottey tried to abuse the situation for sure, and his antics in the last round were an absolute joke.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: