LiveFight
August 16, 2017, 11:49:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward vs Kovalev "My Fight" documentary - must watch  (Read 6406 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »

Locking him up, sounds the same as clinching or holding to me.  Is there a difference ? Cus ward and Khan often get a lot of stick for doing that.

Given kovalevs fearsome reputation it doesn't seem to have surprised many people that he would need to do that to a guy coming up in weight. Maybe ward found kovalevs weakness and exploited it as the blueprint.

Didnt pascal do the same to kovalev ? Or was that fought more at range ?

Ward actively 'seeks' clinches. That's the difference. Ward looks for opportunities to clinch, then gets his centre of gravity low to best grapple/wrestle and then from that posture he'll hit you with sneaky punches, elbows, and shove the head in your face. Now its dirty, but its effective and there is a genuine element of skill to it.

Kovalev by putting Ward back on his heels as soon as they came together took that part of Wards game away from him for much of the fight. Kovalev wasn't looking to hold, but he was prepared for when Ward sought the clinches to take that element away from him.

Kovalev isn't an inside fighter, so the best thing he could do was push Ward back upon contact to nullify Wards dirty inside game. There is no point trying to fight fire with fire in an area where the opponent is superior. Just nullifying the clinches was enough.

LiveFight
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:29 PM »

Stevenson will keep quiet until it's signed and then call them both out  Grin

Yeah....exactly. Stevenson is just interested in making easy money with as little resistance as possible.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

Adonis is irrelevant now.

I see him posting videos that showed him celebrating Kovalev losing, rather than Ward winning.

He loses to both.
TC

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »

Just watched it again on Sky, had it 115-114 Kovalev with a couple of 10-10 rounds in there (which I hate doing but I genuinely couldn't split the rounds). It was a strangely compelling fight, and fair play to Ward for controlling much of the second half of the fight when he was behind on the scorecards.

I wonder if Kovalev might regret not taking a few more risks and even just standing infront of Ward a bit more and taking a few more shots to land some of his own? Ward never really put a dent in Kovalev, but nearly every time Kovalev landed cleanly he shook Ward.

"Me: We"
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »

I think Ward was landing some heavy shots and Kovalev felt them...one thing I noticed early on was Ward wasn't wearing those Mayweather style pillow gloves for a change. Maybe he wanted that extra dig that comes with the smaller gloves.
LiveFight
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »

Just watched it again on Sky, had it 115-114 Kovalev with a couple of 10-10 rounds in there (which I hate doing but I genuinely couldn't split the rounds). It was a strangely compelling fight, and fair play to Ward for controlling much of the second half of the fight when he was behind on the scorecards.

I wonder if Kovalev might regret not taking a few more risks and even just standing infront of Ward a bit more and taking a few more shots to land some of his own? Ward never really put a dent in Kovalev, but nearly every time Kovalev landed cleanly he shook Ward.

I think the body shots and left hooks kovalev was taking affected him. If wards punches were not having an effect then kovalev would have just walked through ward like GGG did with brook. Like he has done with so many other opponents in the past. Just watched it again - fight of the year for me, I think. So much to take in on the second watch. They were both so evenly matched.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:52:34 PM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »

Don't feel bad about scoring an even round or two. Its much better to score an even round than hand it to a fighter just cus. Least with an even round its honours even and nobody loses any ground. I scored 2 even rounds myself the other night and I feel comfortable about that as there were rounds where neither managed to get an edge, but neither did they deserve to be judged the loser. In that instance 10-10 is appropriate rather than trying to 'find' a winner. Normally there is something that can separate fighters at the end of a round...but not always.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

How badly promoted has this rematch been? Only just realised it's next weekend after looking on Sky for tonight's boxing and seeing that the 24/7 is in before it starts.
motoriser
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »

The Promotion has been lacklasture.It has more to do with the Political climate of these times.But which ever way,Ward is now ready to Put on a Virtuoso performance in this fight.This rematch will become a reference fight Fight for Ward,much as the same as it was for Joe Louis in his rematch against Max Schmelling or Sugar Ray Leonard in his rematch against Duran.So Ward to win Big in this rematch.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:15:41 PM by motoriser » Logged

Southern Storm
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »

How badly promoted has this rematch been? Only just realised it's next weekend after looking on Sky for tonight's boxing and seeing that the 24/7 is in before it starts.

Yeah they need Eddie Hearn a better promotional team behind this. It's a great fight with two top level guys. It's a super fight!!

Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »

Its a must see fight, personally id choose this over  Ginge v GGG any day of the week
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: