LiveFight
August 16, 2017, 11:49:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward vs Kovalev "My Fight" documentary - must watch  (Read 6407 times)
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »

If I implied in my previous post that only Kovalevs physical advantages would be a factor, then I apologise. He is not just a physical menace, he also is calculated and the way he moves and boxes can be sometimes unusual, yet highly affective.

Ward was/is an excellent fighter.At his best, he is close to unbeatable. I have doubts that he is at his best, and when he is not, he is vulnerable. He NEEDS to be at his best to win this fight.

Yes, Ward could win a fairly wide points decision. And all the know it alls will say 'I told you so'. I for one would not put money on this fight. I have it 55-45 in Wards favour going into fight week.

Thinking back, I don't remember a fight I have looked forward to more since Trinidad-Hopkins.

It's an historical fight. And i hope, that if Ward wins comfortably, no excuses are made and he rightly goes down as one of the greatest boxers ever.

Great post. Maybe I am grossly underestimating the boxing skills of kovalev. Difficult to judge him when he has fought so many opponents that look to survive and not win.

I hope this fight exceeds everyone's expectations given the very little hype this fight has had.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:24:09 PM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »

Gadje

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »

I'm looking forward to this fight even if it might not be a casuals classic matchup, and could if it goes Wards way be ugly. Still fascinating though.

I think Ward knows he has one way to win. He needs to outbox, out smart and frustrate Kovalev tying him up on the inside and being elusive enough to prevent the Russian from getting space and time to land his heavy shots. I can't see another likely route to success for Andre. Do what a younger faster Bernard Hopkins might have done, make Kovalev miss and discourage him with counters. Wards short left hooks might play a part.
Kovalev on the other hand has several options and that in itself might not help him. He can knock out anyone at the weight. Yet I doubt he will be planning on going for Ward round one KO to win, he is more skilled than that. But is he as skilled as Ward?
He has to pressure Ward surely to win, land hurtful shots and prevent Ward from turning the fight into a maul. That takes boxing skill and physical strength to pull off which he has but I'm doubtful he has enough versus Ward. If Kovalev boxes looking for an opening and doesn't find it by half way into the fight he might start looking for the KO lose his shape and lose badly.
On the other hand the problem for the American is one mistake and he could be out on his arse.

Compelling fight.

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »

I've said for a long time that I think this fight turns on Kovalev's ability to land the jab to the body.  It is usually a very effective punch for him but he was never able to get it going against Chilemba. 

Another factor will obviously be what happens up close and in the clinches.  You'd have to imagine that JDJ would be looking for Kovalev to try and use his strength and rough Ward up the first time he tries to hold.  If Kovalev can't discourage Ward from his holding/dirty fighting early then it could prove to be a long night for him.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »

Reviewing The Referee and Judges for Kovalev-Ward

Are the 4 officials selected by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) trustworthy?

Let’s not mince words. The selection of who referees Saturday’s megafight is highly important. Opponents of Andre Ward have frequently complained about roughhouse tactics that include headbutts and excessive clinching.

And even though Kovalev has shown he’s more than a power puncher, every point will matter. There’s no secret that between the two fighters, Kovalev is the man with the high-powered attack. For Kovalev, a referee who will observe and accurately credit him with knockdowns is crucial.

Referee — Robert Byrd

This is exactly the kind of pick for referee that is expected in fights of this magnitude. Robert Byrd has a deep history of officiating pay-per-view main events. Based out of Las Vegas, Robert Byrd can be found most weekends in venues across the city officiating everything from 4 round smokers to world title fights.

Byrd’s specialty is that he makes it a point to stay out of the spotlight. You’ll frequently see referees become part of the action, but Byrd is not that guy. Even when he’s required to intervene and break up clinches, he does it in a way that is quick and seamless.

Byrd’s experience with includes fights like Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero, Manny Pacquiao vs Tim Bradley, and Dmitry Pirog vs Danny Jacobs.
Byrd has never officiated a Sergey Kovalev or Andre Ward fight.

Judges

The judges for Saturday are highly important given the potential for a very close fight with two distinct styles.

Burt A. Clements
Trustworthiness: 5/5

The group of referees that are better than Burt Clements is small. Clements is frequently called upon for big time fights due to his consistency with delivering fair decisions.
Burt tends to deliver wider scores than most judges, but that doesn’t mean he’s wrong with his decisions. He knows what he is looking for and sticks with it.
Clements experience includes:
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao — He had it 116–112 for Mayweather. This card can be seen as relatively close, but it’s not egregious. Pacquiao had an argument for 4 rounds.
Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez — Clements had Alvarez winning 118–110.
Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez — The worst decision of Clements’s only career because of a math error. He scored it 113–113, failing to deduct a point in the first round.

Glenn Trowbridge

Trowbridge is another Las Vegas based judge and although he hasn’t gotten the call in A-list fights in the past, he’s very reliable. Trowbridge is a judge that usually isn’t bought off by activity. He prefers sharp counter-punching and clean lands.
Trowbridge experience includes:
Jessie Vargas vs Manny Pacquiao — Trowbridge had it wide at 118–109 which is an acceptable scorecard.
Saul Alvarez vs Amir Khan — While the other two judges had this fight closer, Trowbridge wasn’t bought off by Khan’s speed and had Alvarez up 49–46 at the time of the knockout.

John McKaie

McKaie a New York based judge who is frequently brought into Las Vegas fights as an outsider. McKaie is a generous judge without much of a discernible style preference. He’s rated as a very similar judge to Clements with more deviation on wide fights. If you want to pinpoint a style to him, go with counter punching.
McKaie experience includes:
Miguel Cotto vs Saul Alvarez — McKaie had it the closest of the 3 judges, scoring it 117–111.
Robert Easter Jr vs Richard Commey — While the other two judges had Easter edging the fight, McKaie had Commey winning 114–113.

You can trust these officials

Kudos to the NSAC for bringing in an all-star team to officiate what is the most important fight in boxing since Floyd Mayweather fought Manny Pacquiao. While Byrd is typically rated below Kenny Bayless and Tony Weeks, the drop off between the 3 is minimal. Any other referee would bring sideways glances.
The referees are some of the best in the business and as a fan watching at home, there is very little to fear when it comes to how this fight is handled.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »

I'm going for Kovalev points or late stoppage.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »

Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

Ward. He just knows too much, is too fast and has too much of an all round game for Kovalev to comperte with. It's a step up in class for Kovalev, not so for Andre, hes been fighting at this level for a long time. I think it will show on the night.

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »

I think like lots of people... I hope kovalev puts Ward in deep water at the very least, and if Ward comes through it then fair play to him. However (again like most), I suspect Ward will jab (mainly to the body), move, hold, clinch, but and foul his way to a wide UD.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »

About the best fight than can be made in the sport at the right time, both prime both beat any other fighter at the weight .

Ward sd
Hotdog
Executive Member

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »

This is a true 50/50 fight.   I slightly favour Kovalev to win.

Ward is a brilliant boxer but for me he is still to box an elite fighter.  The super 6 threw up lots of good world title fights but Froch and Kessler were that next bracket down from true elite class and both suited Wards style. The step up in weight, against a true wrecking ball of a man, is definitely his biggest test.

The fight that sways me towards Kovalev is the Hopkins fight. Despite age, many people (me included) expected Hopkins to spoil and school a rugged Kovalev, in a way that he schooled Pascal. However he didn't get close. The way Kovalev closed the ring off and hunted down Bhop was brutal.  It showed me that he was far from a one dimensional fighter and its that bit of boxing craft, which takes him away from being "just a brawler", which I think will be vital.   

Top top fight! Cant wait!
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »

I'm going for Kovalev points or late stoppage.

Inclined to agree

A Slice of Life
IrishPaddy
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

I've said for a long time that I think this fight turns on Kovalev's ability to land the jab to the body.  It is usually a very effective punch for him but he was never able to get it going against Chilemba. 

Another factor will obviously be what happens up close and in the clinches.  You'd have to imagine that JDJ would be looking for Kovalev to try and use his strength and rough Ward up the first time he tries to hold.  If Kovalev can't discourage Ward from his holding/dirty fighting early then it could prove to be a long night for him.

Good points. I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens up close. I favour Ward heavily in the exchanges at close quarters - he's one of the best I've seen at that.
wbamitch

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »

Can't wait for this one, two guys at the top of their game competing to be top of the sport. The Kovalev/Chilemba fight makes a lot of people favour Ward, I think that was a vital experience for Kovalev coming into this fight, how do you find someone similar to Kovalev. I can see Kovalev raising his game from that fight and pushing Ward to his limit, I'm thinking Ward either takes a very close decision or Kovalev gets to him late.

Really tough to call, I like both guys as well so it's hard to say who I want to win. I'm intrigued to see how successful Ward is with the inside game and matching Kovalev for strength, he is certainly quicker and will beat Kovalev to the punch several times but when they get close I'm intrigued to see who saps the other more as Ward is so experienced at that but if Kovalev can go with him in that regard I see the last few rounds being really key. Kovalev has a very good jab and reach with his long power shots which I expect him to catch Ward a few times with, how will he deal with that.

Such a good fight, I hope it delivers and the winner puts in a performance that gets them high praise. I'm leaning Ward split decision.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »

I think like lots of people... I hope kovalev puts Ward in deep water at the very least, and if Ward comes through it then fair play to him. However (again like most), I suspect Ward will jab (mainly to the body), move, hold, clinch, but and foul his way to a wide UD.

Are you describing an ali v frazier fight. Clinching has been around a very very long time.  Particularly in the heavy weight division. That is nothing new in boxing.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
willlywalllly
Executive Member

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »

cheers Red beutiful piece that
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 03:15:11 AM »

This is a true 50/50 fight.   I slightly favour Kovalev to win.

Ward is a brilliant boxer but for me he is still to box an elite fighter.  The super 6 threw up lots of good world title fights but Froch and Kessler were that next bracket down from true elite class and both suited Wards style. The step up in weight, against a true wrecking ball of a man, is definitely his biggest test.
I'd say the opposite. Has Kovalev even fought at this level before?
This isn't new territory for Ward, it is for Kovalev. Fighting a 60 year Hopkins is not the same as fighting Froch at his peak or Kessler on the big stage.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: