LiveFight
April 20, 2019, 03:03:16 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxing Ticket Prices  (Read 2373 times)
Hotdog
Executive Member

« on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »

Mid lower tier tickets for Joshua Molina and Haye Bellew, have had a face value of 300. This is roughly a 100 extra than they charged for Froch Groves, Froch Kessler and even more for Haye's fights when in his prime.

The cheapest lower tier for Joshua is 100-110. This is up from the usual 60-80.  The cheapest upper tier for Joshua is 80 I think. I haven't seen the other prices for Haye Bellew but I guess it's similar judging by the 300 tier tickets.

Now people often say boxers deserve the high ticket prices and high wages as their lives are on the line and largely I think the money they get, especially domestically is fine.  However the greed from the promotors to charge this amount is farcical and baring in mind these 2 fights are seen as one sided mismatches, you've got to think this will become the norm. 

The Joshua fight,  you can still easily get face value tickets through eventim. That isn't to do with his popularity, people just can't afford to be ripped off by paying such huge fee's.  I know boxing fans do tend to pay up but when is enough enough?. With the current fee's I very much doubt I'll bother paying for any live action in the UK now and any true mega fights will be huge prices AND in a stadium. So as a customer, I find myself priced out now.
LiveFight
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:51:12 AM »

You're on about face value aswell, you know going back a few years it was illegal to sell tickets at anything bar face value...police use to scout around outside venue removing anyone touting.

Now not only have the face value ticket prices shot up but a large amount of them go directly to the now legal touting web sites and are sold out at double if not triple face value(obviously organisations such as Matchroom will get their cut)

People are now happy to pay whatever the face value is for the bigger fights because not many people get the opportunity to purchase the small amount of these tickets let go to the general public.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »

The rule of thumb seems to be that any fight where Matchroom thinks the casuals will lap it up the prices get jacked.  Basic supply and demand but the premium does seem to have increased substantially over the last few years.  I did GGG v Brook and Crolla v Linares back to back and there was about a 50% difference in ticket prices.

Too many Matchroom cards now are focused on the "f**king knock him out" demographic for things to change any time soon unfortunately.
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »

The rule of thumb seems to be that any fight where Matchroom thinks the casuals will lap it up the prices get jacked.  Basic supply and demand but the premium does seem to have increased substantially over the last few years.  I did GGG v Brook and Crolla v Linares back to back and there was about a 50% difference in ticket prices.

Too many Matchroom cards now are focused on the "f**king knock him out" demographic for things to change any time soon unfortunately.

Agreed. I think you have to pick and choose accordingly to which cards you go to. I personally went to Crolla v Linares instead of GGG vs Brook which despite being a "bigger" match up, wasnt a 50/50 like Crolla was. Razz off here got us 40 tickets in the lower tier. You'd be looking at 100 minimum for Brook then fees on top.

With the announcement of the W***** BT deal, going to be interesting to see how the landscape evolves in the coming years. I think Matchroom could become the premium and casual promoter who deliver the biggest shows, but the majority will be for the casuals. Frank who should now have a bit more money behind him should be able to step his game up and potentially deliver cards that "hardcores" want to go too. Only issue there is that pretty much every hardcore fan has been burnt by Frank one way or another over the years and consequently, there is always doubt when commiting cash to one of the "world championship boxing" shows.

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »

No doubt matchroom have really hiked the prices up. Froch v pascal and Dirrell I paid 50 for first row of tiered seats centre ring. The same ticket for froch Kessler at the o2 was 200, for brook v ggg or any aj fight it is 300

I think the whole bt deal will help reduce prices especially as we have seen the first defection in josh Warrington. A monopoly is never a good thing
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »

I guess Warrington would be a slightly bigger fish in a smaller pond with BN.  Hard to see what value he can really add though.  Outside of idiot Leeds supporters who get a semi singing Man Utd songs he's fairly vanilla especially after all his talk of fighting Selby only to sack it off because he was getting married at some point.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »

I think tickets on the whole have gone through the roof. I'd never dream of paying what matchroom charge for the vast majority of there events.

At the minute though half the country thinks Joshua is the new Tyson so they'll skint themselves to get to see him.

Team Groves
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

No doubt matchroom have really hiked the prices up. Froch v pascal and Dirrell I paid 50 for first row of tiered seats centre ring. The same ticket for froch Kessler at the o2 was 200, for brook v ggg or any aj fight it is 300

I think the whole bt deal will help reduce prices especially as we have seen the first defection in josh Warrington. A monopoly is never a good thing

Froch vs Pascal - I was Row C from ringside (about 25ft from the ropes) and it was 250.00

You couldn't get into the stands now for that.

Nobody begrudges paying a bit more year on year, especially if the opponent is world class - but to pay 5-10 times that for a one-sided fight is not fair.

IrishPaddy
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »

Boxing prices in the UK and Ireland are a complete rip off. The only 'view' you get in these 300 seats is usually of some Essex gombeen in a blazer coked off his head or some tramp in a shirt skirt looking for a bit of action.

If you are really interested in seeing a fight, you would stay at home and watch with the best view - on TV. If want to go to a fight be part of the big atmosphere, meet fellow fans, meet boxers, have a laugh - then put the 300 towards for your next trip to a fight in America.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 05:52:14 PM »

Boxing prices in the UK and Ireland are a complete rip off. The only 'view' you get in these 300 seats is usually of some Essex gombeen in a blazer coked off his head or some tramp in a shirt skirt looking for a bit of action.

If you are really interested in seeing a fight, you would stay at home and watch with the best view - on TV. If want to go to a fight be part of the big atmosphere, meet fellow fans, meet boxers, have a laugh - then put the 300 towards for your next trip to a fight in America.

Pretty much this. Some evens are worse then others mind.

Not boxing but I was at UFC 204 in Manchester .....during the main fight people who had paid for the cheapest floor seats took in upon themselves to walk down the aisle to stand as close to the cage as possible and in doing so blocking the view of people who had splashed out for the better seats. Didn't effect my section but shows that paying more for your seat doesn't even guarantee a better view.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »

It's like every single matchroom fight is a mayweather fight the way they price it..

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 12:32:10 AM »

In case your into this type of thing...

A link to the financial reports for Matchroom Sport Ltd. The second link.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01630824/filing-history

In 2015 - Turnover was 34.3M , Profit = 7M. (Not bad but not Earth Shattering from a large business perspective)... Total Funds in company 24.4M.

Lets see how much these figures jump to for 2016/17... with the scalping and price hikes.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

To be fair they have a lot of revenue streams other than boxing such as darts and so forth.

I've no issues with good turnover at circa 25% profit. That's a typical business to be honest.

LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: