LiveFight
May 28, 2017, 08:23:50 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight's Fights 28.01.17  (Read 1896 times)
TC

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »

I imagine they'd aim for Windsor Park or construct a venue by the Titanic Quarter like they did for the Martinez fight. 

The Titanic arena thing wasn't that big though was it? Just looked and Windsor Park holds 18,000. Suppose with a few on the pitch you'd get it up to just over 20k. Suppose that'd work but they could sell that out many times over I'm sure.

"Me: We"
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »

Didn't think Shane McGuigan covered himself in glory in the corner.

I watched a replay the morning after and the rest periods were cut out so I can't comment on Shane's advice in between rounds. But his pre-fight assertions that LSC couldn't adjust and would just come out straight ahead once the bell rang, was made to sound very shortsighted and silly.

Can sometimes learn about what to do in a fight from listening to what the opponent and their team say prior. Clear to see from McGuigan's pre-fight comments than the Frampton gameplan was built around Santa Cruz fighting aggressively on the front foot and Frampton countering the rushes. Only Cruz didn't play ball.

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

The Titanic arena thing wasn't that big though was it? Just looked and Windsor Park holds 18,000. Suppose with a few on the pitch you'd get it up to just over 20k. Suppose that'd work but they could sell that out many times over I'm sure.

I imagine it's a bit betwixt-between in terms of numbers because no doubt it would easily do over 20k in Belfast, but I'm not sure it would do the numbers necessary to warrant a big stadium elsewhere in the UK. 
legs

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »

I think Frampton will struggle to get Cruz over to Belfast I know he is supposed to have given his word but we all know he won't stick to that now he has the belts.

I suppose the venues big enough he could fight at Cardiff, Wembley, Hampden & Croke Park (Highly unlikely I know).

There absolutely should be a rematch its the biggest fight and payday for each of them.
pogo
V.I.P

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »

Frampton has went way up in my estimation in how he (and his team) has handled themselves in defeat. They have shown humility and more than a little class. In such a close fight it would have been so easy to say we thought we did more than enough for the win, but not a bit of it. They have shown respect to Santa Cruz and his team, and their honesty is so refreshing.

In my mind there is no down side to Framptons first defeat, both fighters performed brilliantly. Heart, guts and determination was shown on both sides and both fighters deserve to be richly congratulated  for their perfomances and for the class in which both fighters conducted themselves.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »

TC

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »

I watched a replay the morning after and the rest periods were cut out so I can't comment on Shane's advice in between rounds. But his pre-fight assertions that LSC couldn't adjust and would just come out straight ahead once the bell rang, was made to sound very shortsighted and silly.

Can sometimes learn about what to do in a fight from listening to what the opponent and their team say prior. Clear to see from McGuigan's pre-fight comments than the Frampton gameplan was built around Santa Cruz fighting aggressively on the front foot and Frampton countering the rushes. Only Cruz didn't play ball.

I watched the replay last night and he didn't really have a plan B for Frampton. Something needed to change and he just let the fight drift for me. Frampton had more success later in the fight when he got past the jab a bit more and worked LSC's body a bit more, but he should have been doing that more often and a bit earlier.

Before the last round SM just said: 'Use your feet.' WTF? It's the last round of a world title fight and you know your man is behind on the scorecards. Tell him he needs a knockout and try to inspire him a bit. It wasn't exactly Churchillian.

"Me: We"
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »

It's American TV that writes the cheques - and they will want big production cost money to do the fight over here.

Perhaps Sky could broker a package where they put it on box office and cover it.

But we all know that Frampton & Matchroom have been at loggerheads in the past and that could be the fly in the ointment.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Frampton looks a weight class below. He did in the first fight but LSC didnt perform 100% so Frampton was able to outbox him and take a very close fight. This time LSC was on form and although Frampton had some good spells Santa Cruz always gave the impression that he was stronger and the boss in there. I can't see the result being any different in the 3rd if LSC is switched on, I think he's just too big.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 12:44:24 PM »

It's American TV that writes the cheques - and they will want big production cost money to do the fight over here.

Perhaps Sky could broker a package where they put it on box office and cover it.

But we all know that Frampton & Matchroom have been at loggerheads in the past and that could be the fly in the ointment.
Especially as Hearn will want to put him against Selby or Quigg again

I still think they would be better waiting a while for the 3rd. There is some other good fights at the weight for both
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »

Especially as Hearn will want to put him against Selby or Quigg again

I still think they would be better waiting a while for the 3rd. There is some other good fights at the weight for both

Agreed.

If they are 1-1 apiece and both came out looking honourable... why not explore other fights each for now?
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 01:51:49 PM »

Frampton looks a weight class below. He did in the first fight but LSC didnt perform 100% so Frampton was able to outbox him and take a very close fight. This time LSC was on form and although Frampton had some good spells Santa Cruz always gave the impression that he was stronger and the boss in there. I can't see the result being any different in the 3rd if LSC is switched on, I think he's just too big.

this.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »

Lomachenko and possibly Davis aside, 130lbs isn't stacked full of quality but I think Saturday night will put the breaks on talk of Frampton moving up again.  Given that LSC has come up from 118 himself I think it would be a real struggle for Frampton physically against natural Super-Feathers.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

I really enjoyed Saturday nights fight and thought it was a terrific fight, so far this year boxing hasn't disappointed hopefully its continues. The result was about right can't argue with it. I look forward to the third one

A Slice of Life
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »

Would be nice for Frampton to get the third fight in Belfast but I think Cruz has his number now.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »

Did anyone watch the BN card? Vargas v Berchelt was an excellent fight and the Miura v Roman fight was decent too.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: