LiveFight
June 25, 2017, 12:06:50 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight's Fights 28.01.17  (Read 2094 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »

Would be nice for Frampton to get the third fight in Belfast but I think Cruz has his number now.

Think its a bit harsh to say that considering both fights have been very close.

The problem was in the rematch Frampton had a far too rigid plan of countering Cruz's aggression with heavy counters. And he and his team didn't entertain the idea that the Mexican might actually do as he was saying and box at range with a more thoughtful approach. Team Frampton had no plan B and so he had to adapt on the fly, which he didn't do too bad a job at all things considered.

In a rubber match I would imagine Frampton would have a much more fluid plan and not take Cruz's plan for granted. Its finely balanced for me.

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »

AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »

Quigg vs Selby

Frampton be LSC would be great anywhere this side of the pond.

Team Groves
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »

Think its a bit harsh to say that considering both fights have been very close.

The problem was in the rematch Frampton had a far too rigid plan of countering Cruz's aggression with heavy counters. And he and his team didn't entertain the idea that the Mexican might actually do as he was saying and box at range with a more thoughtful approach. Team Frampton had no plan B and so he had to adapt on the fly, which he didn't do too bad a job at all things considered.

In a rubber match I would imagine Frampton would have a much more fluid plan and not take Cruz's plan for granted. Its finely balanced for me.

I think it's more of a case that Cruz took 12 rounds to realise he'd got it wrong but went away and came back with a plan that made Frampton look one dimensional. Cruz wins a third fight.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »

I think it's more of a case that Cruz took 12 rounds to realise he'd got it wrong but went away and came back with a plan that made Frampton look one dimensional. Cruz wins a third fight.

Perhaps but could also say that Frampton got it tactically wrong in the rematch and yet still ran him close. I think a 3rd fight is knife edge, but location is probably crucial.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

Perhaps but could also say that Frampton got it tactically wrong in the rematch and yet still ran him close. I think a 3rd fight is knife edge, but location is probably crucial.

It was close on the score cards perhaps but it was a clear Cruz win. In the first fight you could make a case for Cruz winning but this one I couldn't even find a way to give Frampton a draw.
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »

Hard to imagine that a third fight will happen in Belfast. If it was the other way round and Frampton had won the rematch and therefore held the belts then Santa Cruz might be more inclined to take the punt of coming over as challenger. But as champion he has some good options to stay in the US so it might be a case of Frampton going after another belt elsewhere and possibly revisiting the fight at a later date, perhaps with both of them as beltholders and therefore creating a big unification fight. Prior to Frampton, I don't recall Santa Cruz taking too many fights where the odds were against him especially as far as location is concerned so it's hard to imagine that he would voluntarily go over to what would be an absolute bearpit compared to what he's used to, fighting in relatively cosy American atmospheres. Frampton as of right now doesn't carry that much weight right now as a recently developed featherweight without a belt, so I'm not sure how much power he and his team will have in pushing for the third fight quickly and back home.
wbamitch

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »

The second fight although not as entertaining as the first was still a great battle between two very evenly matched fighters which has set up a potential third fight very nicely. Ideally we do get that 3rd fight and it does happen in Belfast, I can't quite seeing that happening and it being another away fight for Frampton.

I wasn't scoring round by round but although Santa Cruz clearly had the edge this time just like Frampton last time I still think scoring wise it was very very close and maybe Frampton could have sneaked the draw at the end but if any one deserved to win it was definitely Santa Cruz. He tactically looked to have an advantage over Frampton in sticking to a successful method whereas Frampton just never look convinced what he was doing although he was closing the scoring gap and very close to being the match of Santa Cruz. They have both proved to be very good fighters in the division below and in this division, with this division stacked with a fair few quality fighters I would like both fighters to have test against the other top guys and maybe re visit the rematch further down the line.

Mikey Garcia looked excellent, that was a worrying knock out, I'd really like to see him vs Linares.

Although Frampton/Santa Cruz II was the bigger fight the fight of the weekend was Berchelt vs Vargas.

I had a good feeling for Berchelt going into this fight after watching his previous few, I was very pleased after he showed straight away how much of a worthy contender he was to Vargas after a few wrote him off as an opponent. He really laid it on Vargas early and then there was a little spell where you just wondered he could do the job over the 12 and that Vargas experience might take him through but Berchelt got back on it and really showed him self to be a force in the division. Excellent fight and victory for him, on the cards for Vargas to get fight of the year 3rd year in a row. Cracking undercard fight with Miaru again, think Berchelt does him some damage if that fight happens next.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »

It was close on the score cards perhaps but it was a clear Cruz win. In the first fight you could make a case for Cruz winning but this one I couldn't even find a way to give Frampton a draw.

I had it 6-5-1 for Cruz. It was razor close for me and at one point I had Frampton ahead, but tactically Cruz got it right and Frampton didn't and that made the difference. I don't think either has proven any superiority at all. A 3rd fight is very interesting....though both may explore other options perhaps feeling the their rubber match is a bit of a banker that can happen even if one or both of them lost to other foes in the meantime.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »

I had it 6-5-1 for Cruz. It was razor close for me and at one point I had Frampton ahead, but tactically Cruz got it right and Frampton didn't and that made the difference. I don't think either has proven any superiority at all. A 3rd fight is very interesting....though both may explore other options perhaps feeling the their rubber match is a bit of a banker that can happen even if one or both of them lost to other foes in the meantime.

Frampton will lose if they rematch...I'll make some cash on it should it happen.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: