LiveFight
May 25, 2017, 11:51:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearn: Brook likely to press on against Errol Spence  (Read 5080 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

Eddie Hearn says Kell Brook is most likely to defend IBF title against Errol Spence Jr and has admitted doubts about whether Amir Khan wants a British battle this year.

Negotiations for a Brook-Khan fight broke down last month, although Hearn was still hopeful that a domestic clash could be discussed for later in 2017.

But Brook is expected to press ahead with a defence of his IBF welterweight title against mandatory challenger Spence Jr and Hearn fears the Khan fight might never take place.

"We've talked about it for three years. I just don't think Amir wants the fight," Hearn told Sky Sports. "I don't think he wants to lose to Kell Brook and it's a 50-50 fight.

"It's one thing losing to 'Canelo', but it's another thing losing to Brook, a guy from your country, who he has a huge grudge with, but he's going to make a career-best purse.

"For me, it just seems ridiculous, and it frustrates me that they can't seem to apply common sense to the situation. For that fact, I can only think that they don't actually want the fight."

Hearn will meet Brook later this week and has advised the Sheffield man not to make a draining drop in weight after he stepped up to middleweight for a brave defeat against Gennady Golovkin in September.

But Brook remains determined to stay in a star-filled 147lb division, including Manny Pacquiao, Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia, and is set to face the unbeaten American Spence Jr.

We've got a meeting on Friday and we will make our decision then. It looks like Errol Spence next.

Eddie Hearn
"I want him to move to 154lbs, he doesn't want to vacate his title, so if he doesn't vacate his title, he has to fight Errol Spence," said Hearn.

"It's a big fight, but it's a tough fight. I just feel like why be in the fights that are as tough as that when you're going to deplete yourself and take away some of your advantages.

"We've got a meeting on Friday and we will make our decision then. It looks like Errol Spence next. At this stage 70-80 per cent [likely]."
LiveFight
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »

In other words Hearn wants him to move up and face more nobodies for a while, rather than face genuine contenders for his title that he has yet to do at Welter so far. Then maybe 18 months to two years down the line he will take a risk with Kell.

Team Groves
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »

In other words Hearn wants him to move up and face more nobodies for a while, rather than face genuine contenders for his title that he has yet to do at Welter so far. Then maybe 18 months to two years down the line he will take a risk with Kell.

Bit harsh.

He won the belt in the states against a good champion, and has just fought Gennady Golovkin.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Bit harsh.

He won the belt in the states against a good champion, and has just fought Gennady Golovkin.

Ignore Aaron ...he backs Frampton who ducked Rigondeaux to get slapped about by Cruz.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »

Bit harsh.

I've always given him credit for the Porter win and always will, I was chuffed to bits for him that night. But his opposition at Welter since than would be weak for a European champion let alone world champion.

The ggg fight for all Kells bravery etc was really a circus and he sold his 0 for the highest price. But he gave it a good showing and didn't embarrass himself.

While the Welter division is not what it was say 10 years ago, it's still got some good names and fighters in their, of which only one is on Kells resume.

The bit in which Hearn appears to encourage stepping up to light middle, to me is him wanting to put the cotton wool back round Kell until absolutely necessary as Spence is a harder fight than he'd have to take in the near future if he stepped up.

And what's more is Hearn is on film saying Kell only wants PPV fights now. I'd bet that Spence while still not PPV worthy is far closer to being than any 154 guy Hearn would match Kell with in probably 18 months.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:10:04 PM by AO88 » Logged

Team Groves
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »

Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »

154 has some tough fights in there. Lara, Andrade, Charllo, Canelo - good looking division at the moment.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »

70-80% means we have no idea yet
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

Full respect to Brook if he takes on Spence straight after GGG...the fight will go the same way for Brook IMO, probably even worse, because Spence is a barbarian added to being highly skilled...if Golovkin is GGG, then Spence is GBH!!!
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »

Porter looked looks like a bit of a beast when he demolished Paulie though. Spence has looked decent but it will be interesting to see how he performs when he's being hit back by someone with a bit of spite in their punches.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »

I don't like the fight for Brook because of the weight issue......without a doubt he'll be a better fighter at 154 and it'll compromise him making 147. I don't see the point of taking fights at a weight where you're a lesser force.

I'm sick of the Spence hype, I don't think he's all that good. From what I've seen he loads up to hell, his stance is too wide where he's just looking to blast away, and there are plenty of holes that the best version of a 147 Brook could fully exploit.

But at this point I don't think Kell makes 147 without really compromising himself, and it makes the match up that much more dangerous and not worth the risk when weighing things up.

I think Kell will bounce back no problem from the GGG fight, its just the battle with the scales now that really concerns me for him.

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

Porter looked looks like a bit of a beast when he demolished Paulie though. Spence has looked decent but it will be interesting to see how he performs when he's being hit back by someone with a bit of spite in their punches.

Spence Vs Thurman, Bradley and Garcia would be interesting, but ultimately I think Thurman gives him the most trouble because Thurman is a very versatile fighter (ying and yang as he calls it)...

For Brook though, this is a bad move for him but I respect his bravery...like Shaka said half the battle for Brook will be the scales, and I think 154 is really his true weight now...he didn't look like a full fledged middleweight vs GGG but he wasn't fleshy either, not at all; he was all muscle but is just too small for the weight division, whereas Khan's mid section looked like he just came off a beach in the Caribbean with his family (i.e. too many buffets and not training particularly hard) when he fought Cannel at 155...Brook is going to be depleted if he steps foot at 147 again, and the LAST man you want to face is a beast like Spence...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:04:08 PM by GOD » Logged
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:37:37 AM »

154 has some tough fights in there. Lara, Andrade, Charllo, Canelo - good looking division at the moment.

Agreed but I think we would be looking at 18 months before he steps in to face any of them. Hearn would talk it up straight away but the opposition would be Latvian carpenters for as long as it could be. Mediocre or in Hearns words "unbelievable" undercards making it a PPV.

I'd love to see Kell face Garcia or Thurman after spence then maybe step up.

I think Kell would be a hard fight for Canelo.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:39:09 AM by AO88 » Logged

Team Groves
TC

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »

You won a title, you defend it against your mandatory. Good for Kell, I like his attitude.

"Me: We"
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »

I don't like the fight for Brook because of the weight issue......without a doubt he'll be a better fighter at 154 and it'll compromise him making 147. I don't see the point of taking fights at a weight where you're a lesser force.

I'm sick of the Spence hype, I don't think he's all that good. From what I've seen he loads up to hell, his stance is too wide where he's just looking to blast away, and there are plenty of holes that the best version of a 147 Brook could fully exploit.

But at this point I don't think Kell makes 147 without really compromising himself, and it makes the match up that much more dangerous and not worth the risk when weighing things up.

I think Kell will bounce back no problem from the GGG fight, its just the battle with the scales now that really concerns me for him.

Very good post dropping back down will likely be Kells down fall

A Slice of Life
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »

Very good post dropping back down will likely be Kells down fall

I think people apply that belief if he fights spence at 147lb. Though not many think the weight is an issue if he faces khan at 147lb or even manny.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: