LiveFight
July 21, 2017, 02:45:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eubank Jnr....an observation  (Read 3072 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: February 05, 2017, 12:48:01 AM »

He isn't a big puncher, in fact he's a relatively light hitter.

He has excellent speed and punch selection but if he was a 'puncher' he'd have taken the Aussie out much earlier. He was hitting him completely clean and still the fella stayed on his feet. If a genuine banger was landing those sort of clean punches then Quinlan would have been flattened.

Truth be told....its highly likely that Nick Blackwell would not have suffered the injuries he did if Eubank was a more genuine puncher. Sounds strange to say but instead of being blasted out early, he instead took a prolonged beating instead.

I think Eubank Jnr is a spiteful fighter who certainly looks to do damage, but his power is only mediocre and he needs to get away from loading up 'looking' to blast people away. He'd be better served just using his speed and ability to box without forcing it. I think he really tries to be exciting, and in fairness his fights are entertaining because he's fast and flashy and aggressive. But he gives up his own defense too much when loading up and given that he really isn't a banger, this could be a problem against better opposition where he might come off second best in open trading of power punches.

I do think he poses genuine issues to anyone at 160/68 and I don't discount his chances of having major success. But he needs to focus on boxing not banging. Boxing and athleticism are where his strengths lay, not in his punch power and he needs to recognise and accept that.

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

LiveFight
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:48:01 AM »

GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »

He has excellent speed and punch selection but if he was a 'puncher' he'd have taken the Aussie out much earlier. He was hitting him completely clean and still the fella stayed on his feet. If a genuine banger was landing those sort of clean punches then Quinlan would have been flattened.

Truth be told....its highly likely that Nick Blackwell would not have suffered the injuries he did if Eubank was a more genuine puncher. Sounds strange to say but instead of being blasted out early, he instead took a prolonged beating instead.

I think Eubank Jnr is a spiteful fighter who certainly looks to do damage, but his power is only mediocre and he needs to get away from loading up 'looking' to blast people away. He'd be better served just using his speed and ability to box without forcing it. I think he really tries to be exciting, and in fairness his fights are entertaining because he's fast and flashy and aggressive. But he gives up his own defense too much when loading up and given that he really isn't a banger, this could be a problem against better opposition where he might come off second best in open trading of power punches.

I do think he poses genuine issues to anyone at 160/68 and I don't discount his chances of having major success. But he needs to focus on boxing not banging. Boxing and athleticism are where his strengths lay, not in his punch power and he needs to recognise and accept that.

Spot on mate...if you check through my old posts just after the Blackwell fight I said exactly the same thing about what happened to Blackwell unfortunately. Jr is a spiteful puncher, but not a concussive puncher, so fighters end up taking a prolonged beating (which is more dangerous in terms of health) rather than being taken out clean
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »

Spot on mate...if you check through my old posts just after the Blackwell fight I said exactly the same thing about what happened to Blackwell unfortunately. Jr is a spiteful puncher, but not a concussive puncher, so fighters end up taking a prolonged beating (which is more dangerous in terms of health) rather than being taken out clean

Yeah exactly....can clearly see he guns for KO's but he must have a lack of real power and so his opposition end up absorbing so many clean shots. The way that fella's head was being rocked around was worrying and reminded me of the beating that Blackwell took.

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »

I agree mate.
The only thing I would disagree with is his chances of top level success. He's got great speed, but doesn't fight like a fighter who knows he needs it. He fights like he's got the power to clean out anyone, and loads up for massive swings... just like his dad. His dad on the other hand could knock people out with his loaded shot, jr cannot.
His style means he'll drop a decision at best to any fighter at the very top level, he just won't work hard enough ... ego won't allow him to admit he needs to.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »

I agree mate.
The only thing I would disagree with is his chances of top level success. He's got great speed, but doesn't fight like a fighter who knows he needs it. He fights like he's got the power to clean out anyone, and loads up for massive swings... just like his dad. His dad on the other hand could knock people out with his loaded shot, jr cannot.
His style means he'll drop a decision at best to any fighter at the very top level, he just won't work hard enough ... ego won't allow him to admit he needs to.

Yeah I agree.....ego is the problem. He doesn't want to admit/accept/acknowledge that he isn't a puncher. He desperately wants to be destructive but he obviously isn't. I saw an interview with Quinlan post fight and he looked totally unmarked!

Jnr imo carries something like 35-40% type power but fights like he's a 90% type banger....if that makes sense.

LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

Agree with this and I made a similar point in the other thread about the fights last night. When he loads up to try and land some sort of hayemaker from distance he looks horribly open to the counter, in which case against proper world class opposition he better hope his chin doesn't let him down. Looking at that last night, can't help feeling that the better fighters at 160 and 168 would have a field day with him if he continues to fight like he's Deontay Wilder.

Bring himself back to the fundamentals of the game and use what assets he actually has, ie speed, reflexes, the ability to put in spiteful combinations up close and just be more of a boxer than he could make a genuine impact at the top level. If last night is anything to go by though, then I personally don't rate him that highly. I think BJS steals rounds off him again, I think Golovkin takes him apart, DeGale probably outboxes him. They are the names he's talking about wiping out but I don't like his chances against any of them if last night's performance is a true indication of where he's at right now.

And his dad is a joke. That ring entrance last night was the most cringeworthy thing I've possibly ever seen at a boxing event.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »

Is this Eubanks Jnrs first fight at 168 as I always thought he campaigned at 160?

A Slice of Life
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »

If you knock people out at 160lb that doesnt automatically mean your going to knock guys out at 168lb. Especially when you have just arrived at that weight.

Theres no gaurantee that GGG will spark everyone at 168lb let alone Eubank Jnr.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »

If you knock people out at 160lb that doesnt automatically mean your going to knock guys out at 168lb. Especially when you have just arrived at that weight.

This, although I think Eubank can stop Murray in the same fashion GGG did. Could likely be Eubanks next fight.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »

This, although I think Eubank can stop Murray in the same fashion GGG did. Could likely be Eubanks next fight.

Murray is a good option for Eubank next. Tailor made for him as he takes rests during the round to allow jr to do an impression of his dad.
I imagine the ref will stop it and Murray will moan st it despite not throwing enough punches as he has in almost every major fight he's been in.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »

Yeah but Eubank wasn't sparking people at 160 either. He's been beating them up over the long haul, but the impact from a single shot isn't there in the manner it would be if he was a proper banger.

He has plenty of upside....fast, athletic, good movement, very confident and his chin looks sound so far. But power isn't something he's been particularly blessed with. He's an average puncher, but he's spiteful with what he does have and certainly tries his best to take his opposition out. He'll just have to be careful not to get too gung ho against the better more dangerous opposition because he doesn't pack major heat.

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:09 PM »

Is this Eubanks Jnrs first fight at 168 as I always thought he campaigned at 160?

Yeah first fight at 68, though he says he can campaign at either weight.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 11:07:29 PM »

Yeah but Eubank wasn't sparking people at 160 either. He's been beating them up over the long haul, but the impact from a single shot isn't there in the manner it would be if he was a proper banger.

He has plenty of upside....fast, athletic, good movement, very confident and his chin looks sound so far. But power isn't something he's been particularly blessed with. He's an average puncher, but he's spiteful with what he does have and certainly tries his best to take his opposition out. He'll just have to be careful not to get too gung ho against the better more dangerous opposition because he doesn't pack major heat.

I think that slightly harsh....Eubanks stopping his opponents consistently...he's clearly not going to blow anyone away with one shot but he has power. I'd back him to stop everyone that Golovkin has although not in the same fashion.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:40 AM »

I see that Jamie Cox has called him out. That's a good fight and would be competitive so I'm pretty sure Eubank will swerve it.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:07:20 AM »

I think that slightly harsh....Eubanks stopping his opponents consistently...he's clearly not going to blow anyone away with one shot but he has power. I'd back him to stop everyone that Golovkin has although not in the same fashion.

I'd like to see him in there with a few of Golovkin's opponents to gauge his level, I think he struggles against a few of them who know their way round.
I'd back Curtis Stevens, Munroe Jr and David Lemieux at MW vs Eubank. He doesn't hit hard enough to keep them off him and doesn't work hard enough to keep them at range.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: