LiveFight
April 28, 2017, 02:05:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 3655 times)
ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »

Jeffry Mayweathet, the only sane one of the lot, has said that UFC is asking for 80% of Conor's earnings. By my estimation, Conor is looking to make about 8% of the actual proceeds. After taxes, he will be lucky to walk away with 20 million. Not nearly the record setting pay day that he imagined it to be. It is why Ihave been saying that this fight will not happen.
LiveFight
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »

jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

Jeffry Mayweathet, the only sane one of the lot, has said that UFC is asking for 80% of Conor's earnings. By my estimation, Conor is looking to make about 8% of the actual proceeds. After taxes, he will be lucky to walk away with 20 million. Not nearly the record setting pay day that he imagined it to be. It is why Ihave been saying that this fight will not happen.
If he does make 20 million for this how many fights would he have to fight in UFC to make that amount though?
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »

I pretty much agree with everything you said. It will probably be a typical Mayweather fight until he sees Connor getting tired. (floyd is never one to take risks now is he). Mcgregor has a left hand.....thats it. He has nothing else as a boxer. Floyd will go in for the kill once he sees Mcgregor starting to gas. Mcgregor was fighting in slow motion against Nate in both fights after the first round. Can you imagine what Mayweather will do to him if conor fights like that?  Shocked

This fight is all about the $$$$$$$. It's a joke. It's a spectacle an unmissable spectacle. It's the most spectacular freakshow in sporting history. And to think Joe Rogan actually gives Connor a great chance of winning.  Grin

Even dana White, despite all his objections has changed his tune.
"I am [working on the deal]. listen, does it make a bunch of sense for my business? No.''
"But Conor has been a guy who has stepped up in times of need here, in big fights when an opponent fell out, so I want to do this for Conor. I want him to be able to make this kind of money.''
He's changed his tune.

I don't know whether you've seen this but its an interview with andre Burto describing what it's like fighting floyd. It's the most revealing break down i've ever heard from a fighter. If Berto couldn't lay a glove on floyd, how the hell is Conor? It's the easiest 100 mil Floyd has ever made and this interview puts it into perspective.

ANDRE BERTO DESCRIBES WHAT FIGHTING FLOYD MAYWEATHER IS LIKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw

BERTO GIVES CONOR MCGREGOR BEST ADVICE FOR MAYWEATHER CLASH; BREAKS DOWN FIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJczoxTiQjY

Yeah seen them the other day....very honest appraisal by Berto. Didn't seem bitter just matter of fact. Mayweather basically pickpocketed most of his opposition in his later fights, by winning but avoiding an actual fight breaking out. Can't take it away from him how clever/shrewd Mayweather was in all aspects of a fight.

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

If he does make 20 million for this how many fights would he have to fight in UFC to make that amount though?

I think it would be two or three fights. As Mayweather said, it is more money than than he has ever earned before, but it is a bitter pill to swallow because he created the event and he is fighting.

I was saying 20 million (after taxes), based on the fight making 400 million. I think that is even an optimistic estimate. Others have said this will be the highest grossing fight of all times, but it won't even come close. The purists from both sports won't bite on the same scale that they do for genuine main events. People also aren't taking into account the amount of crossover buys.

A good portion of MMA fans are also boxing fans. They aren't completely separate populations, yet they appreciate each sport separately. This is like saying to them, "Hey, you like boxing? You like MMA? Great, here is none of that!"

I think I have been pretty accurate on how the money would break down. I have said that it would not make sense for Conor to go through with this fight, because he is essentially making two other entities all of the money and being given a earnings that arent too dissimilar to his MMA cash. The only way I could see him going through with this is if they lie to him on the potential buys.

If he does go through with it, I don't see it selling well and he'll make less than he thinks. Still don't see it happening.

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 12:03:52 AM »

If Mcgregors next fight isn't against mayweather after all this talk.  It will be such an anticlimax for him irregardless of his next ufc opponent. The UFC pay will be so poor after flirting with the prospect of a once in a lifetime deal. He may well lose all motivation if this falls through because of other peoples greed getting paid off his work. What will the UFC actually do to earn their keep in a boxing event. Ziltch.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 12:03:52 AM »

ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

If Mcgregors next fight isn't against mayweather after all this talk.  It will be such an anticlimax for him irregardless of his next ufc opponent. The UFC pay will be so poor after flirting with the prospect of a once in a lifetime deal. He may well lose all motivation if this falls through because of other peoples greed getting paid off his work. What will the UFC actually do to earn their keep in a boxing event. Ziltch.

Exactly. He has put himself in between a rock and a hard place. He has chased down a massive payday that he will not be able to cash in on. He either takes and admits that Dana is his boss and he will be paid as such, walks away and makes much less money and admits Dana is his boss, or fights it legally. I think his pride will prevent him from selecting the first two. Legally, it will take forever. As I have said, this could be the end of his career, regardless of the option he chooses.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »

I don't really understand the White is his boss thing. Maybe its overly simplistic, but can't McGregor just announce he'll never fight UFC again and is retired. But surely he's entitled to compete in a different sport, take the fight against Mayweather. Get his arse kicked but earn a fortune and then live a life.

Or has McGregor signed a contract that states he'll not compete in any other sport without White's permission?

" Thanks Wlad, good game...We should play another round or two soon eh? "

ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »

I don't really understand the White is his boss thing. Maybe its overly simplistic, but can't McGregor just announce he'll never fight UFC again and is retired. But surely he's entitled to compete in a different sport, take the fight against Mayweather. Get his arse kicked but earn a fortune and then live a life.

Or has McGregor signed a contract that states he'll not compete in any other sport without White's permission?

I think the grips of the contract are apparent by the way the UFC has been able to implant itself on the negotiations. The question is very warranted though, because I do not think there is a clear answer to any of that.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

I think the grips of the contract are apparent by the way the UFC has been able to implant itself on the negotiations. The question is very warranted though, because I do not think there is a clear answer to any of that.

Dana usually says that fighters contracts state the last part of what you think. Given Conor's value I doubt he can breath unless Dana says so.

Team Groves
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »

Exactly. He has put himself in between a rock and a hard place. He has chased down a massive payday that he will not be able to cash in on. He either takes and admits that Dana is his boss and he will be paid as such, walks away and makes much less money and admits Dana is his boss, or fights it legally. I think his pride will prevent him from selecting the first two. Legally, it will take forever. As I have said, this could be the end of his career, regardless of the option he chooses.

I guess the only way he can look at this situation is that he is cashing in relative to his next big fight in the UFC. Can you imagine if he has 1% of success against mayweather and loses. They will be lining him up to fight manny or canelo next. Its all relative to what his usuall UFC purse is. If he compares it to self employed mayweather then he is on a slippery slope.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »

I guess the only way he can look at this situation is that he is cashing in relative to his next big fight in the UFC. Can you imagine if he has 1% of success against mayweather and loses. They will be lining him up to fight manny or canelo next. Its all relative to what his usuall UFC purse is. If he compares it to self employed mayweather then he is on a slippery slope.

Good point...

One other aspect of this potential match-up that I've started to think about more and more is the fact that Conor's MMA background probably won't do him any harm when he's on the inside...I'm specifically thinking about in terms of grabbing, holding, tying Floyd up etc...

Deep down, he must know he has no chance of winning when it comes to boxing, he must know that he really only has a (lucky) puncher's chance, so perhaps he will just try to spoil, spoil, spoil, and would rather go out losing on a DQ (think of Henry Akinwande against Lennox Lewis) than getting outboxed etc...if he were to spoil, grab, hold etc and lose on  a DQ, I think that the UFC would be quite pleased with that because it would be far better for their brand than Conor being on the receiving end of a boxing clinic...he could just continue to grab, hold, spoil etc until he gets thrown out, and I'm thinking that his MMA background would help him to look after himself on the inside in that respect...especially given Floyd's age (40), he's probably not going to doing a lot of moving, he'll probably fight more in the pocket, which could suit Conor in terms of getting close to Floyd and basically spoiling...the other fight that comes to mind is Bonecrusher Smith's performance against Mike Tyson (he basically held and cuddled Tyson for the entire fight)...

And IF he can land that (lucky) punch, then all good...
ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 04:05:22 PM »

Dana White claiming this is all bullsh*t. Conor probably isn't legally allowed to talk about the contract and he hates that other parties are able to weigh in. Told Bob Arum to f*ck off after he suggested that even a 50-50 split would be robbery.

Thought he could kill this at the negotiating table, but quickly finding out why he was a sh*t as a boxing promoter until he inherited the monopoly that is the UFC. Not as easy to bend people when you are not the only shark in the pond. Guy is a crook.
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »

Jeff Mayweathers response to Dana White calling him a piece of shit.

Never thought i'd say this about a Mayweather but... he seems like a classy guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRlr7Dfz9Ic

ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

I think he seems pretty credible.

Essentially said, he doesn't like it because I let people know the way he runs his business. Floyd's money is his (60%) and the 80/20 is of the remaining 40. In fairness though, I think Dana called Arum a piece of sh*t. He just said that him and Jeff go way back and asked if he speaks for team Mayweather.

He is Floyd's uncle and he and Dana both admit they go way back together and have a history, so I think it is more than possible that this is true. Dana getting so mad also suggests that there is some truth to it. If it was so outrageous he would have laughed it off, like he does everything else when the chips are in his corner. Him with that sh*t eating grin as he said Conor would set himself up for an "epic fall" if he tried to fight this legally. Scumbag has made a career out of underpaying people.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:23:24 PM by ChicagoFightFan » Logged
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »

Good point...

One other aspect of this potential match-up that I've started to think about more and more is the fact that Conor's MMA background probably won't do him any harm when he's on the inside...I'm specifically thinking about in terms of grabbing, holding, tying Floyd up etc...

Deep down, he must know he has no chance of winning when it comes to boxing, he must know that he really only has a (lucky) puncher's chance, so perhaps he will just try to spoil, spoil, spoil, and would rather go out losing on a DQ (think of Henry Akinwande against Lennox Lewis) than getting outboxed etc...if he were to spoil, grab, hold etc and lose on  a DQ, I think that the UFC would be quite pleased with that because it would be far better for their brand than Conor being on the receiving end of a boxing clinic...he could just continue to grab, hold, spoil etc until he gets thrown out, and I'm thinking that his MMA background would help him to look after himself on the inside in that respect...especially given Floyd's age (40), he's probably not going to doing a lot of moving, he'll probably fight more in the pocket, which could suit Conor in terms of getting close to Floyd and basically spoiling...the other fight that comes to mind is Bonecrusher Smith's performance against Mike Tyson (he basically held and cuddled Tyson for the entire fight)...

And IF he can land that (lucky) punch, then all good...

I'd say losing on a deliberate DQ would be far worse all round than taking a beating.  In a fight that could be of the magnitude (however ridiculous it is) of this, it would be one of the biggest quit jobs of all time to go out like that.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: