LiveFight
November 24, 2017, 12:19:42 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 33502 times)
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #555 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »

It wasn't that bad, I enjoyed seen Mcgregor getting stopped. Mcgregor had me a bit taken aback the first couple of rounds, of course the size difference was glaring but I thought he had Mayweather's number for a little while, this version of Mayweather anyway. He looked slow and certainly not the same fighter of even a few years back, I expected Mcgregor to be awkward and give him a few problems but this was more than I expected. Mayweather finally got some work off and then Mcgregor's conditioning, wow, that really sealed the deal. I heard it was questionable but my god I have never seen anything like it, Mayweather's not exactly an active high pace guy and he had barely passed the doing nothing stage.

McGregor was visibly breathing heavy after 4 and you knew he was in big trouble after that, Mayweather landed some nice body shots, how much affect they had on an already draining Mcgregor I don't know. It wasn't a smooth performance by Floyd but he did what he had to do and basically walked Mcgregor down, he was still accurate enough although again nowhere near vintage, although how many times do we so Floyd go for a victory in that method. Mcgregor summed it up well post fight in that Floyd was very composed, he knew he had his man and in the end the levels showed. You certainly do worry for Mcgregor if he continues to go past the first couple of rounds in fights.

Hopefully Mayweather sticks to retirement now, he needs to. I would have liked to seen him put Mcgregor to the floor which I think was very close but I did also say at the time it's getting dangerous so maybe I had a bit of compassion for him. Clearly not vintage Floyd but I enjoyed seeing the old man still put a beating on Mcgregor.

Now moving on to serious boxing..

Mayweather said he stopped sparring a month before the fight due to hand problems, which would have affected his timing in the fight...even having said that, I do agree that he looked old in there...fight was a win/win in the end though...It was a fun fight, Floyd kept his unbeaten record, boxing got the win, MMA raised it's profile, and McGregor got kudos for going rounds with Floyd
LiveFight
« Reply #555 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »

Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »

I read a report that the ringside physician was concerned at the fact that his balance had gone and his legs were jelly.

Tiredness doesn't do that to balance, but ataxia from temp. brain trauma.

Boxers are dying on a regular basis due to it. Whereas UFC might see more blood, the shaking of the brain inside the skull from headshots is less evident.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #557 on: August 31, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »

I could understand that if he'd taken sustained clean punishment to the head but I didn't see anywhere near enough of that from Mayweather throughout the fight to cause such dramatic decline in conditioning from McGregor. I know Flyd got to McGregor by the 7th round onwards but he has dished out far worse beatings in the past and not had the same caution shown to his opponent by ringside docs.

Maybe my judgement is slightly clouded by having only minutes before that fight watched Kamegai run headfirst in Cotto's punches for 12 rounds without losing his equilibrium at all. Didn't seem to be much concern shown for his welfare either.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #558 on: September 07, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »

I watched it again last night and it doesn't get any better.  I think McGregor's team should be ashamed of themselves.  He had no cardio, feet like he was on a Playstation dance mat and zero technique in his punches.  After a couple of rounds his shots were making Malignaggi look like Julian Jackson.  Relying on punch stats to say he did well is embarrassing, he was swatting flies in between running and looking to hold.

Seeing Theophane in the dressing room when asked if Floyd had taken the fight seriously said it all.  He knew all he had to do was not trip over on his ring walk and the fight was in the bag.   
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #559 on: September 07, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

I watched it again last night and it doesn't get any better.  I think McGregor's team should be ashamed of themselves.  He had no cardio, feet like he was on a Playstation dance mat and zero technique in his punches.  After a couple of rounds his shots were making Malignaggi look like Julian Jackson.  Relying on punch stats to say he did well is embarrassing, he was swatting flies in between running and looking to hold.

Seeing Theophane in the dressing room when asked if Floyd had taken the fight seriously said it all.  He knew all he had to do was not trip over on his ring walk and the fight was in the bag.  

Lands more punches on Mayweather than Pacquiao in his first ever boxing contest yet he should be "ashamed".

Enjoy your super series tournament opener this weekend.. first fight up Usyk 1/100 to beat Huck. Thank goodness the circus is out the way with and we can get back to the "real" contests.

LiveFight
« Reply #559 on: September 07, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #560 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »

McGregor did not employ the best people to get him in condition to compete for 12 rounds.
Call it arrogance/stupidy/misguided loyalty.....take your pick.

He should have hired a proper proven boxing coach, who'd also come with his preferred strength and conditioning coach. At least he'd have been fit for 12 rounds as opposed to blowing out of his arse after just a few relatively slow paced rounds. Anyone with a brain knew he was obviously totally outgunned and unprepared boxing ability wise. But that's no excuse for his conditioning which was f'kin w*nk in all fairness, and it was humiliating for him. Those yes men receiving money to get him fight fit should feel ashamed!
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #561 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »

Lands more punches on Mayweather than Pacquiao in his first ever boxing contest yet he should be "ashamed".

Enjoy your super series tournament opener this weekend.. first fight up Usyk 1/100 to beat Huck. Thank goodness the circus is out the way with and we can get back to the "real" contests.

Where did I say McGregor should be ashamed?

Punch stats mean nothing, its people pressing buttons because Americans can't do sports without 'stats' even if they are meaningless. Most of them couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding and Floyd was stood there because he knew Conor couldn't hurt him whereas Manny could have.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #562 on: September 07, 2017, 09:41:15 PM »

How are people still talking about this? Baffling.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #563 on: September 07, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »

I watched it again last night and it doesn't get any better.  I think McGregor's team should be ashamed of themselves.  He had no cardio, feet like he was on a Playstation dance mat and zero technique in his punches.  After a couple of rounds his shots were making Malignaggi look like Julian Jackson.  Relying on punch stats to say he did well is embarrassing, he was swatting flies in between running and looking to hold.

Seeing Theophane in the dressing room when asked if Floyd had taken the fight seriously said it all.  He knew all he had to do was not trip over on his ring walk and the fight was in the bag.   

You watched it more than once? You must have been very bored, it was extremely dull and uneventful.

Team Groves
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »

McGregor did not employ the best people to get him in condition to compete for 12 rounds.
Call it arrogance/stupidy/misguided loyalty.....take your pick.

He should have hired a proper proven boxing coach, who'd also come with his preferred strength and conditioning coach. At least he'd have been fit for 12 rounds as opposed to blowing out of his arse after just a few relatively slow paced rounds. Anyone with a brain knew he was obviously totally outgunned and unprepared boxing ability wise. But that's no excuse for his conditioning which was f'kin w*nk in all fairness, and it was humiliating for him. Those yes men receiving money to get him fight fit should feel ashamed!

Good post, completely agree. Mcgregor was essentially trained by a bunch of boxing novices. It's embarrassing when u think about it. Oh and he was using Artem as one of the main sparring partners. Roll Eyes .
Think it was a combination of arrogance, loyalty & a massive ego. I don't think conor wanted to face adversity in sparring or to be told he was wrong by an authority figure he doesn't know. That would have been too much for his massive ego to take. They went about that train camp the wrong way. Bunch of amateurs.
Conor had the ability to make that fight way more interesting than it was had he done the right things in training and brought in the right people. 

Where does his career go from here? A guy that's not willing to look at himself in the mirror and face reality, who thinks he's above most things and is trained by amateur yes men. It can only go one way.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #565 on: September 08, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »

You watched it more than once? You must have been very bored, it was extremely dull and uneventful.

I didn't mind it, As a boxing spectacle is was boring but it proved beyond doubt which the majority of us know that boxing/mma are different sports. (rugby/football different)

The conditioning was appalling, but that was to be expected with the way MMA fighters are. 'IF' he'd been fighting an Alvarez he would of been flattened within 3. I got duped into thinking Floyd would finish it before he could but in true floyd style he waited until he could barley stand then went for the kill. When I say Floyd style I mean he was never going to take too many risks.

Kudas to the Irish MMA fighter for making the cash he has. Lets crack on with supporting our chosen sports, I dont follow both but good luck to those who do.

I'll get back to boxing now but 'if' this fight hadnt of been happening then we wouldn't of had a right lot to read/comment on lately  Grin So look at the positive 

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #566 on: September 08, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

As a fantasy fight I think the fight more than delivered.

1) A 170lb MMA fighter facing a 142lb Boxer in 8oz Gloves.

2) Mayweather - coming out in a Balaclava indicating that he was about to commit a bank robbery.

3) McGregor despite landing numerous illegal hammer fists on Mayweather and Mayweathers composed reaction.

4) McGregor landing a couple of meaningful Uppercuts and Overhand Rights flush on the Granite Chin of a 40 year old Mayweather.

5) The spectacle of Mayweather literally walking down a fighter known for his Standup MMA reputation.

Pound for pound it was a lamb to the slaughter... Much like Mayweather v Canelo. Lighter, Smaller and Older yet still batters both fighters. I enjoyed it and it was free. No Complaints.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #567 on: September 08, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »

I didn't mind it, As a boxing spectacle is was boring but it proved beyond doubt which the majority of us know that boxing/mma are different sports. (rugby/football different)

The conditioning was appalling, but that was to be expected with the way MMA fighters are. 'IF' he'd been fighting an Alvarez he would of been flattened within 3. I got duped into thinking Floyd would finish it before he could but in true floyd style he waited until he could barley stand then went for the kill. When I say Floyd style I mean he was never going to take too many risks.

Kudas to the Irish MMA fighter for making the cash he has. Lets crack on with supporting our chosen sports, I dont follow both but good luck to those who do.

I'll get back to boxing now but 'if' this fight hadnt of been happening then we wouldn't of had a right lot to read/comment on lately  Grin So look at the positive 

I fell for that too, I'd backed Floyd over a number of rounds and won sod all.

On the bright side, Alvarez vs Golovkin is only a week away.

Team Groves
Tuco
Executive Member

« Reply #568 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »

3) McGregor despite landing numerous illegal hammer fists on Mayweather and Mayweathers composed reaction.

One thing more annoying than Mcgregors cardio is the bias view that it was all Mcgregor doing the the illegal stuff. How many forarms and elbows did Mayweather thrust into Mcgregors face and neck in the clinch?? They caused way more damage than Conors pitta patt pillow fists.
Tuco
Executive Member

« Reply #569 on: September 08, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: