LiveFight
October 19, 2017, 10:54:39 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxer's Inactivity  (Read 577 times)
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: March 15, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

Just got thinking today about how long some boxer's now have between fights. I know we won't go back to boxers fighting 3 or 4 times a year but just thinking about a few fighters who have been out a while and got no fights lined up:
Nathan Cleverley - October
George Groves - November
Dillian Whyte - December
Amir Khan - May
Andre Ward/Sergei Kovalev - November
Adonis Stevenson - July

That's to name a few off the top of my head. What are people's thoughts. Can lay offs that long be good for a boxer. And also people like Callum Smith who seem to have now gone an age without a meaningful fight
LiveFight
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »

I thought Groves had a WBA title fight signed to go?

Callum Smith is happy to sit around waiting and waiting. The momentum behind him is dead now days, even if he wins a title I don't think many will care as they rarely hear of him.

Can't believe khan vs canelo was so long ago, only feels like a month or two.

Team Groves
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »

I think I mentioned in a thread a while back about people's interest in the sport that lack of activity was one of the reasons it's difficult to really get behind a particular fighter nowadays.

A few on the list I can see why the lay-off; Groves with what happened with Gutneckt and a shot at the WBA and Smith waiting on the WBC and now having the Dirrell fight lined up.  Although that does form part of the problem in that with so many avenues to a title guys are happy to sit tight instead of having to fight to maintain/improve their ranking situation.  Also, Stateside it would seem that Haymon didn't help by paying over-inflated purses for average fights when getting fighters away from GBP and now no one wants to take a pay cut for more testing outings.

It is ridiculous that Khan will have been out for longer than Brook who was sidelined with a broken orbital bone come May though.  A break here and there can be no bad thing but Khan must have had something like five fights in the last four years.  A lot of fighters really should be putting 'Twitter User' on tax returns rather than 'Professional Boxer' the way things are going.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »

With Ward & Kovalev for example we are now 4 months after their fight, surely with it being so close a rematch should be able to be announced fairly soon after. Now I've lost all interest in it

Groves I haven't heard any date set for his WBA shot

Callum Smith appears to be the worst. Seemed to be on the verge of a world title shot for about 2 years now. He seems to have gone down the same path Kell Brook went for years

Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »

Completely agree.

The last 5 years of Khan's career has been a waste of time.

It winds me up with people talking about fighters like Jamie Cox being "on the verge" of a world title fight? Based on what?

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »

Completely agree.

The last 5 years of Khan's career has been a waste of time.

It winds me up with people talking about fighters like Jamie Cox being "on the verge" of a world title fight? Based on what?

Cox has been a pro for a decade and all I can remember him doing is punching that bloke in the balls a load of times in a Commonwealth title fight. 
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »

Dillian Whyte fights on the 27th of May

A Slice of Life
TC

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

Just got thinking today about how long some boxer's now have between fights. I know we won't go back to boxers fighting 3 or 4 times a year but just thinking about a few fighters who have been out a while and got no fights lined up:
Nathan Cleverley - October
George Groves - November
Dillian Whyte - December
Amir Khan - May
Andre Ward/Sergei Kovalev - November
Adonis Stevenson - July

That's to name a few off the top of my head. What are people's thoughts. Can lay offs that long be good for a boxer. And also people like Callum Smith who seem to have now gone an age without a meaningful fight

I think it's bad for the sport as a whole, and can't the fighters themselves any good really. However, if they live the life out of the ring, keep ticking over with training and don't gain loads of weight, then it probably doesn't affect condition and performance too much.

"Me: We"
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »

It's one of the reasons my own interest has wained a lot.  There is hardly anybody to get behind and support these days, given their inactivity.  I always gasp and roll my eyes when I see folk talking about Haye still being dangerous. How the fook does anybody figure that?   Huh?
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: