LiveFight
September 23, 2017, 11:03:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Conlan  (Read 541 times)
jonjoe
V.I.P

« on: March 19, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

So this took place on Friday evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j39Yrlv82ks

Out of curiosity how do the fine folk on this forum see this career panning out?

Personally I reckon that Michael gets to a world title but with him turning pro at 25 I do wonder how fast he will be moved through the ranks considering there are a lot of fighters who have already picked up titles by that point.

I was happy to see him making his debut against a decent enough opponent. I'd say the opponent was more a live opponent than what most go in against on their pro debuts. I would like to see Michael moved through the ranks at a pretty rapid pace and be fighting former World title holders by his tenth fight or so. Maybe picking up a EBU/Commonwealth/British belt within that time as well.

How do you see this unfolding?
LiveFight
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »

I think as long as he doesn't do long camps for bum fights, and moves fast then his age shouldn't be too much of an issue. Although smaller fighters age faster.

Froch was 26 or so I believe when he turned over and it's more common lately for am's to turnover a bit later than they used to.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »

I think they could have matched him a bit tougher than they did really.  Conlan had something like ten fights in the WSB so he was effectively having his 11th pro fight against someone of lesser quality than he had faced in those previous outings. 

Super-bantam is a fairly weak division at the moment so he has every chance of picking up a world title.  Rigo is verging on ancient for the weight and would be very beatable in a couple of years if he's still around.  I'd probably give Conlan a chance against any of the other title holders once he's acclimatised to training for the 12 round distance.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »

He looked a bit tight early doors but that was only to be expected, but yes once he's accustomed to the level of fanfare and hype and going the full 12, he'll be ready for a title shot
Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

There seemed to be a lot of Hype around his debut like nothing I haven't seen before from a either a UK or Irish fighter.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »

Genuinely seen an interview where he said he'd likely go for the guy in the 3rd and was set to take that bet...forgot all about it in the end.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »

Genuinely seen an interview where he said he'd likely go for the guy in the 3rd and was set to take that bet...forgot all about it in the end.

That would seem incredibly poor form given than he received a reprimand for betting on fights at the Olympics. 
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »

That would seem incredibly poor form given than he received a reprimand for betting on fights at the Olympics. 

I think perhaps it was a dig at the olympics....clearly he knew he could best this guy in whatever round he wanted too.

Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

Give him a few tune ups then put him in with Kid Galahad or Scott Quigg just to see if he is going to be good enough to go for major honours. If they waste 3 or 4 years building him he will never reach his potential at 30 fighting in the lower weights.

LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: