LiveFight
August 21, 2017, 11:47:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward vs Kovalev 2  (Read 3028 times)
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »

Everyone who watched this fight said it was an exciting fight.It went back and forth with skills on display from both guys and Drama.That is what makes Boxing special coz of the Drama we saw.Only ones who say the fight was boring,are the ones who watched the fight emotionally invested in seeing Ward lose.So they chose to Ignore the High level of skills displayed by both Fighters coz the wrong guy for them won,despite how both fighters showed high levels of skills. Tatenda.

No one said it was boring did they? I think the fact the fight was good is why people are pissed off at the shit reffing in the fight.
Ward is brilliant, but he's fuckin filthy and his constant low blows took more of a toll on Kovalev than any legal punch landed to the body. Great right hand he landed... which was set up 30 seconds earlier by a clubbing right to left bollock.
LiveFight
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

No one said it was boring did they? I think the fact the fight was good is why people are pissed off at the shit reffing in the fight.
Ward is brilliant, but he's fuckin filthy and his constant low blows took more of a toll on Kovalev than any legal punch landed to the body. Great right hand he landed... which was set up 30 seconds earlier by a clubbing right to left bollock.

Exactly Ward opened Kovalev up to the head by going low numerous times first....then finished him off with another 3 low blows! Weeks was f*cking shocking.

The round before noting a low blow and telling Ward to keep them up....but then making Kovalev fight on immediately when by the laws of the game he should have had up to 5 minutes to recover! Fair to say that Weeks gave Ward his best chance at victory.

Moving to the 8th.....what should have happened is Weeks should have intervened and taken a point off Ward and given Kovalev up to 5 minutes to recover, and if Kovalev(and/or his corner) were smart he'd have taken every single second of that 5 minutes.

We'd then have had a situation where Kovalev would have been 3 points up on one card, level on the other 2 and refreshed after having a 5 minute break. Ward would have had to be careful not to stray low again and the fight is back on and there is every chance that Kovalev would have emerged as the winner.

As it was we got Ward winning by stoppage on 3 low blows and after he'd landed a steady stream throughout with no penalty at all. It is a f*cking joke. But this type of thing has been going on for years in Las Vegas.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »

Don't think Kovalev helped himself as he pretended to be hit low earlier in the fight. The fight could have been different had Ward been warned but I still think he'd of taken it down the stretch. Does Adonis Stevenson still fight?
motoriser
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »

https://youtu.be/qmzBzq_rumA
Well Kovalev was also dirty,he had Ward in a headlock numerous times in this fight and yet people chose to ignore it.At one time,he even rubbed his Glove on Ward's nose causing him to bleed.So he had to return fire like a Man and not whine to the ref like that.Plus the above Video also shows that Kovalev actually faked a low Blow from what was a Legal body shot thrown at around 0.50 in the video.He turned and Ward stopped punching,instead of pouncing on him.We can't complain about the low blows and ignore the Rabbit punches and numerous headlocks from Kovalev.It works both ways guys.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:49:40 PM by motoriser » Logged

Southern Storm
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »

I just think as a fighter if you think you're getting hit low and the ref isn't calling it then you've got to take matters into your own hands. Give him a whack back in the spuds if need be. It's a fight. Ward has the dangerous combination of being athletically gifted, skilled and having the ability to win as ugly as F*ck where required. He knew he had to get down and dirty with Kovalev and he basically broke his spirit. The apparent low blows were borderline at worst from what I've seen and Kovalev didn't fancy the rough stuff. He was tired, hurt especially by the big shot to the jaw he took moments before the stoppage, and didn't look to deal with Ward himself. Complaining to the ref was the worst thing he could have done because all he did was show to Ward and to the ref that the fighting spirit was drifting out of him, making the stoppage that bit easier to call. I personally don't blame Tony Weeks for stopping it though a count may have been the more correct action to take at that moment. Had there not been so many distress signals prior to that stoppage then maybe Weeks would have given a count, but at that moment it looked to me like Kovalev was done. It may have looked like a soft stoppage but I don't necessarily blame Weeks for that. Expected more grit from Kovalev to be honest.
LiveFight
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »

https://youtu.be/qmzBzq_rumA
Well Kovalev was also dirty,he had Ward in a headlock numerous times in this fight and yet people chose to ignore it.At one time,he even rubbed his Glove on Ward's nose causing him to bleed.So he had to return fire like a Man and not whine to the ref like that.Plus the above Video also shows that Kovalev actually faked a low Blow from what was a Legal body shot thrown at around 0.50 in the video.He turned and Ward stopped punching,instead of pouncing on him.We can't complain about the low blows and ignore the Rabbit punches and numerous headlocks from Kovalev.It works both ways guys.

Are you shitting me?
That video shows a right hand to the thigh (low), followed by a left which was at very best on the waist band.
Your response to numerous low blows is a glove to the nose?
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »

Are you shitting me?
That video shows a right hand to the thigh (low), followed by a left which was at very best on the waist band.
Your response to numerous low blows is a glove to the nose?

That's kind of my point in this, if Kovalev felt he wasn't getting the ref's attention he should have fought fire with fire and landed a few below the belt himself.
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2017, 11:59:53 PM »

Kovalev will  make mistakes in this one.His hatred for Ward based on ethnicity will work against him.

I take you have not heard of his numerous Racist tweets to Adonis Stevenson,Lenox Lewis and Ward himself.He tends to call them Monkeys.

Only ones who say the fight was boring,are the ones who watched the fight emotionally invested in seeing Ward lose

you have sounded slightly hysterical throughout this thread, are you ok?
ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »

I just think as a fighter if you think you're getting hit low and the ref isn't calling it then you've got to take matters into your own hands. Give him a whack back in the spuds if need be. It's a fight. Ward has the dangerous combination of being athletically gifted, skilled and having the ability to win as ugly as F*ck where required. He knew he had to get down and dirty with Kovalev and he basically broke his spirit.

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well. I essentially said the same thing to my brother after the fight. Kept thinking back to Hatton vs Kostya. You can't look to the ref in those situations. Hatton essentially barreled himself into his nutsack after the low blow. I don't think anyone blamed him for it.

Kov said he was going to destroy Ward and end his career. I was honestly expecting the dirtiness from him. It was hard to sympathize with the fighter who was boasting about hurting his opponent so badly that he would end his career. Some of the shots were questionable, but the final shot was a clear low blow. But, the W is in the books and Kov only has himself to blame.

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well. I essentially said the same thing to my brother after the fight. Kept thinking back to Hatton vs Kostya. You can't look to the ref in those situations. Hatton essentially barreled himself into his nutsack after the low blow. I don't think anyone blamed him for it.

Kov said he was going to destroy Ward and end his career. I was honestly expecting the dirtiness from him. It was hard to sympathize with the fighter who was boasting about hurting his opponent so badly that he would end his career. Some of the shots were questionable, but the final shot was a clear low blow. But, the W is in the books and Kov only has himself to blame.

I agree that Kovalev should have sent Ward's balls into orbit the moment Ward strayed low and sent the message out that it will not be tolerated. He needed to be prepared to fight in the gutter, because its no secret that Ward fights dirty.

But that doesn't excuse Tony Weeks for his pitiful display, and a fighter shouldn't 'need' to fight dirty if the referee is doing his job. First and foremost Weeks was at fault, he didn't ensure fair play and favoured Ward greatly. And to be honest I have no doubt that had Kovalev fought fire with fire, Weeks would have been on his case in an instance. Think it was clear who Tony Weeks wanted to win that fight and he certainly helped it reach his preferred conclusion.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »

Do you think Kov would have got the same treatment from the ref if he did the same? Are we really criticising a fighter for not fouling?
If kov had done the same :
1) he would have got thrown out by the ref.
2) the narrative from some people would have been 'kov couldn't live with Wars's dazzling skills, beautiful good looks, and unfaltering belief in a higher being that he was forced to get himself thrown out of the fight. The big commie racist!'

Kovalev did nothing wrong, Ward did. That simple really.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: