LiveFight
October 23, 2017, 12:25:11 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward vs Kovalev 2  (Read 4064 times)
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »

Kovalev lost the fight at the press conference during the weighin and was beat as the first bell rang, mentally he wasn't right. I thought Ward done what Ward does and fought a great fight. I personally don't think it was that close all things considered the stoppage was coming. Ward was first to the punch often rocking Kovalev with the straight jab and was finishing off exchanges with the eye catching shot.

The right hand before the stoppage was an absolute peach of a shot almost took Kovalev's head off. Ward looked physically stronger this time around and Kovalev seemed to be man handled in exchanges thats something I didn't expect. All things considered a fairly entertaining if predictable outcome.

A Slice of Life
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »

Like I said,Ward was going to put on a Virtuoso performance in this one and have his Sugar Ray Leonard moment by making his opponent do a No Mas.We saw that tonight. I had Ward up by a 2 points going into the 8th round,2 judges had him up by 1 point,while the other had Kovalev up by 2.But a stoppage win is the most Conclusive.What about that right hand? not bad for a Guy who is a natural left handed fighter.
Kudos to Ward,he has now closed this Kovalev Chapter and is now P4P KING,love him or hate him.

Terrible stoppage. Good right hand 30 secs before, butvthe 3 shots in the legs and bollocks to finish it were not borderline.
Was a good close fight before that.
This was not a no mas moment, more of a 'stop punching me in the bollicks' moment.

unknown
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »

Dwyer 17-6-17 Post Fight Andre Ward v. Sergey Kovalev

https://youtu.be/f40yhgVUbXA

Dwyer sums it up nicely.
tweetstreet
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »

Definitely a few low blows there and an awful performance by weeks if I'm honest, agree with Paulie can't understand why weeks stopped it even if he wasn't sure they were low, ropes keeping him up anyway maybe? So rule a knockdown.

dmp
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

Definitely a few low blows there and an awful performance by weeks if I'm honest, agree with Paulie can't understand why weeks stopped it even if he wasn't sure they were low, ropes keeping him up anyway maybe? So rule a knockdown.

kov didnt coplain nor his did his corner at the time
if it was left to carry on kovalev  would have been kod or he would have quit
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

Goldenboy87
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »

If you get hit in the bollocks as many times as Ward hit Kovalev then you are gonna complain to the referee and you are also going to go down. That last one in particular, just seen a clear video and Weeks was literally looking straight at it. Kovalev probably expecting at that point Weeks was stopping to warn Ward.

I had the fight even up until that round, I don't think Ward is going to get the Credit he probably thinks he deserves after this fight. I think the majority believe Kovalev won the first fight and essentially he has won the 2nd fight after blasting away at Kovalev in the bollocks (not disputing Ward was landing some excellent shots to the body also)

Can't see a 3rd fight ever happening unfortunately.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »

Terrible stoppage. Good right hand 30 secs before, butvthe 3 shots in the legs and bollocks to finish it were not borderline.
Was a good close fight before that.
This was not a no mas moment, more of a 'stop punching me in the bollicks' moment.

And we have to bear in mind that prior to that big right hand....Ward had already doubled Kov over with a nutcracker which Weeks pretended hadn't happened! It was a shocking refereeing display.
Chris
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »

Like I said,Ward was going to put on a Virtuoso performance in this one and have his Sugar Ray Leonard moment by making his opponent do a No Mas.We saw that tonight. I had Ward up by a 2 points going into the 8th round,2 judges had him up by 1 point,while the other had Kovalev up by 2.But a stoppage win is the most Conclusive.What about that right hand? not bad for a Guy who is a natural left handed fighter.
Kudos to Ward,he has now closed this Kovalev Chapter and is now P4P KING,love him or hate him.

Agree with most of this though even if was a poor stoppage by the ref. Ward clearly hurt him near the end, and prior to that it looked like Kov was looking for time outs with too much complaining.

Again after the half way point I thought Kov started to look a bit desperate at times and Ward found his rhythm. To hurt Kovalev like that is a huge feat as a Kov probably one of the toughest men in boxing, and Ward only had 15 Kos to his name which makes it all the more impressive.

Combine the two victories with his long layoff and overall record and he's clear P4P number one by a long long way.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

And we have to bear in mind that prior to that big right hand....Ward had already doubled Kov over with a nutcracker which Weeks pretended hadn't happened! It was a shocking refereeing display.

Exactly, he even saw it and told him it was 'beltline'!
Ward boxed well and he may well have taken over after 8th, however he was filthy with the low blows.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 04:55:47 PM »

wbamitch

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »

The fight lived up to the hype and once again was a very close and intriguing fight with a similar switch in momentum as last time, Kovalev once again had a good start and despite Ward having the edge in boxing skills he showed he can cause great problems with his jab and distance, in any fight he will always be a battle for Ward, as Ward said post fight it's not really the power it is more the timing and accuracy which may be a surprise for some to hear. Impressed by the way Ward come back again, I think Ward is the kind of guy who will never really get the big credit and appreciation from fans despite his undoubted qualities and cementing himself as the no 1 pound for pound guy.

He did what he had to do, of course there was a few that stranded low but it clearly unsettled Kovalev when Ward got on the inside and returned fire, particularly to the body. Not known as a puncher but he is a strong guy and over both fights has shown despite Kovalev being the bigger puncher that he can cause discomfort for him when pressuring back, as well of course of having the ability to time Kovalev with pot shots. Ward created doubt and discomfort for Kovalev and stuck at it eventually looking like he was about to get the surprising knockout over a tiring Kovalev, great persistence by Ward and what a shock it was when he rattled Kovalev with that right hand.

He rightfully put the pressure on to force the stoppage over his waning opponent, I have yet to see a clear angle of the I believe it was 3 body shots that slumped Kovalev on the ropes, the last one was definitely low. Mixed accuracy with his shots to the body but I think Kovalev gave Ward all the signs he needed to keep pushing with that and I have to say my initial reaction to the stoppage was shock that Ward had done that but I was thinking Kovalev is just not defending himself so is there not much complaint. It wasn't a vociferous immediate response from team Kovalev either so I felt he kind of set himself up for it.

Definitely the last one was low, as I've said I'm not clear on the others, I think the stoppage was coming but that doesn't make it right to stop the fight. It's a difficult one to interpret, I'm not in the camp of bashing Tony Weeks either, I understood his reasoning straight away. it would be good to see a clear angle of all the shots but I think Ward was certainly right to keep pushing for the body and I do think Kovalev showed classic signs a couple of times in the fight that he was perhaps looking for a way out.

Brilliant fight, a shame it didn't get as much attention as it deserved, tough for Kovalev to come back from this confidence sapping 2nd successive defeat in what is a tough division, interested to see Andre's next move.

Again, extremely bizarre in the Rigondeaux fight, probably the strangest I have seen. It was clearly a late exchange with both fighters after the bell, I find it bizarre especially after watching replays that they came to the verdict of a KO. It should have been a no contest but Flores attempt to DQ Rigo was pathetic.
unknown
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »

Kovalev won the first fight.

Ward lost the second fight if any thing by disqualification, totally unacceptable inforcement of the rules, on one hand he stops the fight early as if to say.. I am a ref of safety and lets call this a ward win, but on the other hand he does not stop the low blows. So it was a BIAS ref.

Kovalev is the championon until ward can actually beat him fair and square. Nice right hand thou in the final round and Kovalev was tiring but its a boxing match, it called a championship battle for a reason. You are allowed to pretty much give your life in the ring if you want to continue.  Not that we should want that or see that happen but you get the point.

What a waste of time even arranging the match.

As Dwyer said the guy sat down and had his arse on the rope ffs, you give the man a 10 count.

What if Kovalev had of landed a sunday punch and got ward out of there.

1st fight stinks, 2nd fight stinks.

Ward punching Kovalev Penis... this is really high level stuff.

1-0, Kovalev

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »

The fight lived up to the hype and once again was a very close and intriguing fight with a similar switch in momentum as last time, Kovalev once again had a good start and despite Ward having the edge in boxing skills he showed he can cause great problems with his jab and distance, in any fight he will always be a battle for Ward, as Ward said post fight it's not really the power it is more the timing and accuracy which may be a surprise for some to hear. Impressed by the way Ward come back again, I think Ward is the kind of guy who will never really get the big credit and appreciation from fans despite his undoubted qualities and cementing himself as the no 1 pound for pound guy.

He did what he had to do, of course there was a few that stranded low but it clearly unsettled Kovalev when Ward got on the inside and returned fire, particularly to the body. Not known as a puncher but he is a strong guy and over both fights has shown despite Kovalev being the bigger puncher that he can cause discomfort for him when pressuring back, as well of course of having the ability to time Kovalev with pot shots. Ward created doubt and discomfort for Kovalev and stuck at it eventually looking like he was about to get the surprising knockout over a tiring Kovalev, great persistence by Ward and what a shock it was when he rattled Kovalev with that right hand.

He rightfully put the pressure on to force the stoppage over his waning opponent, I have yet to see a clear angle of the I believe it was 3 body shots that slumped Kovalev on the ropes, the last one was definitely low. Mixed accuracy with his shots to the body but I think Kovalev gave Ward all the signs he needed to keep pushing with that and I have to say my initial reaction to the stoppage was shock that Ward had done that but I was thinking Kovalev is just not defending himself so is there not much complaint. It wasn't a vociferous immediate response from team Kovalev either so I felt he kind of set himself up for it.

Definitely the last one was low, as I've said I'm not clear on the others, I think the stoppage was coming but that doesn't make it right to stop the fight. It's a difficult one to interpret, I'm not in the camp of bashing Tony Weeks either, I understood his reasoning straight away. it would be good to see a clear angle of all the shots but I think Ward was certainly right to keep pushing for the body and I do think Kovalev showed classic signs a couple of times in the fight that he was perhaps looking for a way out.

Brilliant fight, a shame it didn't get as much attention as it deserved, tough for Kovalev to come back from this confidence sapping 2nd successive defeat in what is a tough division, interested to see Andre's next move.

Again, extremely bizarre in the Rigondeaux fight, probably the strangest I have seen. It was clearly a late exchange with both fighters after the bell, I find it bizarre especially after watching replays that they came to the verdict of a KO. It should have been a no contest but Flores attempt to DQ Rigo was pathetic.

Summed up very well, on the stoppage Kovalev wasn't firing back he'd lent on the ropes and body shots were doubling him over he made no attempt to defend himself he made little attempt to grab hold and complain to the ref he left the ref with a decision to make.I agree with you on this you just can't allow yourself to be hit after being in trouble in the round not not not throw back nor clinch. Whilst the low blows stop the flow of the fight I am not sure the stoppage is as bad as people think.

A Slice of Life
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »

Kovalev won the first fight.

Ward lost the second fight if any thing by disqualification, totally unacceptable inforcement of the rules, on one hand he stops the fight early as if to say.. I am a ref of safety and lets call this a ward win, but on the other hand he does not stop the low blows. So it was a BIAS ref.

Kovalev is the championon until ward can actually beat him fair and square. Nice right hand thou in the final round and Kovalev was tiring but its a boxing match, it called a championship battle for a reason. You are allowed to pretty much give your life in the ring if you want to continue.  Not that we should want that or see that happen but you get the point.

What a waste of time even arranging the match.

As Dwyer said the guy sat down and had his arse on the rope ffs, you give the man a 10 count.

What if Kovalev had of landed a sunday punch and got ward out of there.

1st fight stinks, 2nd fight stinks.

Ward punching Kovalev Penis... this is really high level stuff.

1-0, Kovalev

I agree.....a match up between the 2 best 75 pounders deserved to see a controversy free conclusion. What we actually got left more questions than answers. Very disappointing.

Apparently Weeks has admitted he was at fault on twitter. Fair play to him for that, but too little too late.
unknown
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »

I agree.....a match up between the 2 best 75 pounders deserved to see a controversy free conclusion. What we actually got left more questions than answers. Very disappointing.

Apparently Weeks has admitted he was at fault on twitter. Fair play to him for that, but too little too late.

Dwyer 17-6-18 Further Post Fight Look at Ward v. Kovalev 2
https://youtu.be/csDNiy-BIa0
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: