LiveFight
August 16, 2017, 11:50:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigel Benn and Steve Collins set for rematch  (Read 366 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: June 29, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2017/0629/886428-benn-and-collins/

Nigel Benn and Steve Collins set for rematch

Updated / Thursday, 29 Jun 2017 12:09

Nigel Benn and Steve Collins have claimed they're to have a rematch - 21 years after the Dublin successfully  defended his WBO super middleweight title against the Englishman in Manchester.

BBC Sport reports that Benn and Collins, 53 and 52 respectively, plan to fight in October or November.

"It's about the final chapter," said Benn, who initially wanted to square off with Chris Eubank.

"I was going backwards and forwards with Chris and I thought, 'I wouldn't have a problem with Steve'. So I asked him if he wants to fight. He said yes. No mucking about."

The pair clashed twice in the mid-90s, with Collins winning on both occasions.

The first, at the Manchester Arena, ended with Benn hurting his ankle, turning his back on his opponent and moving towards his corner. 

Collins won the rematch four months later at the same venue, prompting Benn's retirement. 

Now though they seem determined to step into the ring one more time, with Collins commenting: "It's just about money, a payday which will allow me to buy some more land. I have no problem for Nigel. I have a lot of respect. I like him."

If the British Boxing Board of Control refuse to sanction the bout, both men claim they'll look for a licence from abroad.

LiveFight
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/40434050
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »

Very sad  Angry
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

Hopefully there won't be enough interest in this for it to get off the ground. 
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »

It'll happen and I don't mind it all that much to be honest....

Not sure about Collins motives, just a cash grab for him by the sounds of it. But Benn gave a good interview with Kugan the other day and explained his reasons. And in all fairness he seems to want to fight again for the right reasons, nothing to do with money just because he fancies having a fight again! He seems to have a healthy mindset. Certainly this isn't a fight where he feels he has to fight or needs to fight for money or because he has nothing else to do with his life.

I'm not all that keen on seeing either take punches again, but I dunno I'd don't have as much of an issue with the fight as I thought I might.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »

Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »

First of all, I thought it was some kind of joke.  BUT I have to confess, I'd watch it.  And I guess so would many others.  Even if only for the fairground sideshow element.  How could anyone of my age, who saw them both in their prime, actually NOT watch it?   Huh?
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »

Nigel Ben probably lives a cleaner lifestyle than a lot of the active top level pro's.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: