LiveFight
September 26, 2017, 12:45:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Flyweight Card Tonight  (Read 317 times)
wbamitch

« on: September 09, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »

Anybody else staying up or getting up for this, I mentioned earlier on in the year I really think this is one of the best cards of the year, the introduction of Inoue to US audiences in which I forecast to be a comfortable touch for him to start off with.

Then after that FOTY Contenders written all over them, Cuadras vs Estrada, terrific match up, set up for the winner to take on Gonzalez or Inoue surely? That being said Gonzalez has to come through his rematch and avenge the defeat in what was already a solid contender for FOTY.

A group of us watching this right?

I'm pumped for it.
LiveFight
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »

AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »

I can't stay up as I'm in work, what channel is it on?

Team Groves
DANIELK104

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:46:31 AM »

WOW  Shocked

"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players" - Jock Stein - Greatest Celtic Manager Ever!!
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »

Haven't caught up on this yet but McKenzie v Renda was a great fight at York Hall last night if there's footage online of it.
wbamitch

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

I'm going to start with the fight that caught my interest most on the night and probably beforehand as well. Estrada vs Cuadras.  A fight good enough to be a title fight/unification but this was a final eliminator for the WBC I believe, certainly worthy of that as both have proved in the past they are only a slight level below the kingpin Gonzalez. I hadn't seen an awful lot of Estrada only really the Gonzalez fight itself, Cuadras I was introduced to through his Gonzalez fight, an exciting skilled fighter who is still one of the top dogs in this division.

Really enjoyed Estrada's performance, did look to be the smaller, to think of a better word, weaker guy, but he fought an excellent fight in countering Cuadras and making him doubt his approach. Cuadras switched stance a lot in trying to figure Estrada out be he just couldn't get to grips with his accuracy and footwork, of course Estrada had the knockdown but he took the fight right to Cuadras from the middle rounds and hurt him a few times, not too far off an excellent stoppage victory. In the end it was a competitive but clear excellent victory for Estrada, in my eyes.

I was outraged by the initial verdict and to be honest still mind boggled when they reversed the score and it was only a 1 point victory for Estrada. He fought a superb fight and took the majority of rounds off just an outfought and out boxed Cuadras. He was in control for the majority of that fight, I feel I have watched enough boxing to not be swayed by commentary (Sky had it comfortable for Estrada too). I was worried when Sky were mentioning HBO had Cuadras taking a lot of early rounds and people had him up online, I just didn't get it, I've said before I think it's a very American way of scoring going for the come forward fighter but Estrada had that fight last night and I was baffled how anyone could see it close never mind a Cuadras victory.

Anyway, thankfully the right result in the end, just! Still feel a gripe that it doesn't fairly reflect Estrada's performance, Cuadras can come back and be involved in big fights in this division but I look forward to catching more Estrada fights, both old and new.

Gonzalez was stopped hard in 4 in case people didn't know the result. Super Flyweight from the start looked like it may just be a step too far for Gonzalez after two close grueling fights, it always felt a reach for him and that eventually it would tell. A lot of people thought he did enough to take the first fight with Sor Runvisai, only watching it the once I don't feel there was a massive argument on the matter and that Gonzalez had just gone a weight too far and was bullied a bit. It was hoped he could bounce back in the rematch and outbox Sor Runvisai and put in a performance which in all due respect to his opponent would set up bigger fights for Gonzalez and the division.

So Runvisai did not read the script and boxed really well, getting on the inside with Gonzalez making it physical again but also countering his shots well and outworking Gonzalez for the short duration of the fight. I watched it again this morning and despite it being an exciting battle again he certainly seemed to have the edge before the stoppage. It did look a slightly slower Gonzalez and he was caught with a counter which spelled the end and then another which this time kept him on the floor. It was a shock and sad to see but credit to Sor Runvisai, he's certainly one to beat in the division, get him in there with the other victors from last night, would love to see a Yafai fight as well.

Finally an excellent opportunity to have a look at Inoue last night, they call him the monster and it was very much pointing based off his form and Gonzalez's hard battles that he would be the guy to dethrone in him in a mini super fight. Inoue certainly brings size and damning power which you can easy say in hindsight may have done something similar to Gonzalez what he had last night. Sinked in the body shots and was happy to walk forward and take anything his opponent offered back to get the inevitable stoppage. They are steps up in which I am really interested in seeing against Estrada/ Sor Runivisai, they've moved him along quickly so there should be no reason why we don't get those fights next year.

Love this division, some great fights to be made, a well deserved spotlight on it last night.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:22:04 PM »

I'm going to start with the fight that caught my interest most on the night and probably beforehand as well. Estrada vs Cuadras.  A fight good enough to be a title fight/unification but this was a final eliminator for the WBC I believe, certainly worthy of that as both have proved in the past they are only a slight level below the kingpin Gonzalez. I hadn't seen an awful lot of Estrada only really the Gonzalez fight itself, Cuadras I was introduced to through his Gonzalez fight, an exciting skilled fighter who is still one of the top dogs in this division.

Really enjoyed Estrada's performance, did look to be the smaller, to think of a better word, weaker guy, but he fought an excellent fight in countering Cuadras and making him doubt his approach. Cuadras switched stance a lot in trying to figure Estrada out be he just couldn't get to grips with his accuracy and footwork, of course Estrada had the knockdown but he took the fight right to Cuadras from the middle rounds and hurt him a few times, not too far off an excellent stoppage victory. In the end it was a competitive but clear excellent victory for Estrada, in my eyes.

I was outraged by the initial verdict and to be honest still mind boggled when they reversed the score and it was only a 1 point victory for Estrada. He fought a superb fight and took the majority of rounds off just an outfought and out boxed Cuadras. He was in control for the majority of that fight, I feel I have watched enough boxing to not be swayed by commentary (Sky had it comfortable for Estrada too). I was worried when Sky were mentioning HBO had Cuadras taking a lot of early rounds and people had him up online, I just didn't get it, I've said before I think it's a very American way of scoring going for the come forward fighter but Estrada had that fight last night and I was baffled how anyone could see it close never mind a Cuadras victory.

Anyway, thankfully the right result in the end, just! Still feel a gripe that it doesn't fairly reflect Estrada's performance, Cuadras can come back and be involved in big fights in this division but I look forward to catching more Estrada fights, both old and new.

Gonzalez was stopped hard in 4 in case people didn't know the result. Super Flyweight from the start looked like it may just be a step too far for Gonzalez after two close grueling fights, it always felt a reach for him and that eventually it would tell. A lot of people thought he did enough to take the first fight with Sor Runvisai, only watching it the once I don't feel there was a massive argument on the matter and that Gonzalez had just gone a weight too far and was bullied a bit. It was hoped he could bounce back in the rematch and outbox Sor Runvisai and put in a performance which in all due respect to his opponent would set up bigger fights for Gonzalez and the division.

So Runvisai did not read the script and boxed really well, getting on the inside with Gonzalez making it physical again but also countering his shots well and outworking Gonzalez for the short duration of the fight. I watched it again this morning and despite it being an exciting battle again he certainly seemed to have the edge before the stoppage. It did look a slightly slower Gonzalez and he was caught with a counter which spelled the end and then another which this time kept him on the floor. It was a shock and sad to see but credit to Sor Runvisai, he's certainly one to beat in the division, get him in there with the other victors from last night, would love to see a Yafai fight as well.

Finally an excellent opportunity to have a look at Inoue last night, they call him the monster and it was very much pointing based off his form and Gonzalez's hard battles that he would be the guy to dethrone in him in a mini super fight. Inoue certainly brings size and damning power which you can easy say in hindsight may have done something similar to Gonzalez what he had last night. Sinked in the body shots and was happy to walk forward and take anything his opponent offered back to get the inevitable stoppage. They are steps up in which I am really interested in seeing against Estrada/ Sor Runivisai, they've moved him along quickly so there should be no reason why we don't get those fights next year.

Love this division, some great fights to be made, a well deserved spotlight on it last night.

Great post and a pleasure to read a detailed account of what happened last night, especially given the otherwise lack of activity on this forum lately. People still commenting on McGregor Mayweather FFS!!

I haven't watched the main event yet but it was kind of shocking to see the reports this morning of Chocolatito being stretched out the way he was last night. I saw the first fight and was fairly sure Chocolatito did enough to win a grueller so was equally certain that he was going to set the record straight last night. Obviously not. Not nice seeing a great fighter like that ironed out so conclusively.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

Got to feel for Gonzalez that just as he was starting to get some wider recognition he ends up being stopped like he was at the weekend.  It will be tough for him to rebuild at 30 and I can't imagine that he'd fancy trying to make it down to 112 again.

It will be interesting to see if Hearn looks to get Yafai in the mix for the big fights in the division or if he'll just look to use his title to fill undercards.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: