LiveFight
November 18, 2017, 06:40:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andre Ward Retires  (Read 890 times)
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: September 21, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »

Strange that given he cleared out 168 and 175 (bar Stevenson who doesn't really count as he's not interested in decent fights) and retires undefeated I doubt he will really be missed a great deal.
LiveFight
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »

motoriser
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »

Just as I posted my thread ,you posted yours.Ah well,to each their own.
I will always appreciate a person who was slightly passed his Prime,but still able to Bite down in 2 hard fights and Claim the P4P King throne despite knee injuries in Camp.Once the dust settles,all will start to set in.Tatenda.

Southern Storm
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »

I don't doubt that like some other fighters he will most likely be appreciated more in the future.  But he never really connected with the boxing public in general hence I don't expect an outpouring of disappointment today.  I always think that his not fighting Bute didn't help his case after the Super Six.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »

Terrific boxer superbly talented had it all however he never built momentum behind his career and as such most people will say 'who' outside of boxing circles. I think he had to many layoffs etc. He was silky smooth and his movement technically brilliant. He never really for me had that carer defining fight basically because he never really had a foe who could push him to the limit. That said his record is not to bad when you look at it.

A Slice of Life
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

Effective but shite to watch.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

jorg21
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

Brilliant fighter but as Dexter said didn't really have a foe to challenge him easily outclassed most of his opponents.
Kevan2
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Doctor will see you now

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

For me he was another fighter that i appreciate but would never pay to watch... He will end up like Larry Holmes...a True Great but kinda slips into the background.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:44:27 PM by Kevan2 » Logged

Dear Santa, this year i have been a very good boy, well, nearly all year, well to be honest, you can hardly call it good, oh phuck it, never mind, i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll buy my own shit!!
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »

Earned a load of money off jay z and wasted a load of time arguing with his ex promoter .

I'm still quite surprised with this guess god needs him now so hasn't got the time
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »

Totally in a class of his own.  Never really tested by any of his opponents. Probably could easily carry on... but there is nobody left to fight. Cleaned the divisions out.

Retired undefeated on his own terms and while he was p4p No.1. Props.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

I felt Ward was always unable to carry a fight card on his own - and always needed a name opponent to get excited about.

Compared to say Cotto, who's career at 140 was sublime and packed with excitement with every fight - you look at Ward vs Bika or Ward vs Allan Green and they are utterly dreadful fights to watch.

I thought he was lucky in first Kov fight and the rematch was plain odd. His win over Kessler was disgusting.

To be fair only his win over Froch seemed proper, i.e. winning the rounds without a low blow or headbutt or some other controversy. But even then, when you look at his path to the final, it was a joke. He avoided Taylor, Dirrell and didn't fight once overseas. It was tilted in his favour. He didn't even do the international press launch for it, apart from the very final date in Germany I think.

I found the way he allegedly dragged a dying man in Dan Goosen through the courts to be abhorrent. It was thrown out by several courts in different districts - and it ended when Goosen died I believe.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:10:35 AM by Red » Logged
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »

bye
SCOTTY'S SOBER

TOOTIE FRUITY

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »

Totally in a class of his own.  Never really tested by any of his opponents. Probably could easily carry on... but there is nobody left to fight. Cleaned the divisions out.

Retired undefeated on his own terms and while he was p4p No.1. Props.
bit farcical there mate.
He was floored and beaten imo by kov first fight and 2nd time around was behind on my scorecard before the terrible stoppage.
unknown
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »

If you could put Ward against any three fighters from history in his weight class who would  you put him against to really stress him and possible beat him, or is he unbeatable?

He beat Carl Froch and that is a huge water mark to surpass imo,
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »

bit farcical there mate.
He was floored and beaten imo by kov first fight and 2nd time around was behind on my scorecard before the terrible stoppage.

I disagree beyond kovalev's power... ward has him beaten in every other boxing attribute.

A big puncher can always land that one lucky punch... that doesn't mean he is a better boxer in my books.  Kovalev was simply out of ideas... had no plan B.

Have you noticed how big punchers don't tend to do that well if they move up the weight classes... they lose that one advantage they had. Good boxers can stay effective though as ward has proven.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:53:58 PM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

If you could put Ward against any three fighters from history in his weight class who would  you put him against to really stress him and possible beat him, or is he unbeatable?

He beat Carl Froch and that is a huge water mark to surpass imo,
Ward v calzaghe would have been very interesting
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: