LiveFight
April 27, 2018, 02:53:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscar Valdez v Scott Quigg  (Read 948 times)
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »

Looks like this is set to be made for 10th March in California.  It's a good fight but not one that I can see Quigg has much chance of winning  based on his recent outings.  He obviously has a decent engine but I think Valdez has that extra bit of class that could se him stop Quigg late.
LiveFight
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

Good fight.....Valdez is dangerous, but his aggression means he can hit and Quigg can crack. Style wise this fight will suit Quigg, he won't have to chase Valdez. Sink or swim fight.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »

Quigg comes in 2.6lbs over at the weigh in so canít win the title. Thatís well over and I can never remember him having issues at Super Bantam.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »

There was also a lot of talk going on that quigg was refusing to do the fight day weigh in also, not painting him in a good picture.

Fight sounds decent, going to watch it this afternoon.

Team Groves
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »

Quigg has a fractured foot during camp & fight
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »

It was a tremendous battle.....

I'd love to see a rematch with Quigg having a proper camp, but I can't see Valdez giving him another bite of the cherry.

During the American commentary too much was made of Quigg's supposed weight advantage due to him not making the championship limit, but the reality is Quigg would have been as big on the night as he was anyway, and its safe to say he'd have made weight if he'd not been hampered by fracturing his foot in camp. Quigg's prep hindered not helped his chances last night.

A rematch would see more of the same type of action, and would be a pick um. I think TV would like to see it, but I can't see Valdez signing for another dose unless it was a mandatory. But both have plenty of options out there, but both need a damn good rest first. It was a truly brutal fight, they both took way too much punishment to both body and head. Can only imagine how sore they'll feel today.

AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:34:50 PM »

Was a good fight, right decision too. Quigg to me seems a lot easier to hit and more intent on marching forward all the time now days. I canít remember too much of his early days but his time under roach has to me turned him into the rushing bull style fighter.

Team Groves
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »

Great fight, Quigg looked easy to hit at times but heís got some chin.
Would like to see a rematch when heís a bit more mobile in the last half of the fight. Quigg was the stronger man by the looks of it and he could have done with closing the distance more on the last 6 rds.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »

I'd like to see Quigg use his jab more and not just as a range finder, but as an actual weapon in its own right.

And not necessarily as a front foot weapon, but in reverse too. Step back and stick the jab as they step after him. Make the jab a real issue for the opposition, instead of just looking to detonate big punches and waiting too long. Be productive with a jab, changes of angle and speed.

I definitely think he has the versatility to make the jab a feature, and in his earlier days he used to be effective with it....but as time has gone by he's seemed more intent on landing big hooks and overhand rights and he's forgetting the set up, and not only that but if he can gain control of a fight behind a good jab it'll make fights much easier on himself physically.

I was surprised to see Valdez so clearly assume the role of the boxer in their fight at times. In reality that's what allowed the Mexican to win, because when it was a shoot out it was 50/50 though Quigg's strength seemed to give him an edge there. But Valdez showed more boxing nouse and movement, and it gave him that edge of control of the tempo throughout.

Having said that I do think Quigg's injury was obviously a serious issue for him. It clearly would have affected his movement, foot speed and leverage on punches too.

I don't see Valdez going anywhere near Quigg again, it'd have to be forced upon him. And though he lost I don't think Quigg's stock will suffer, in fact I'm certain that American TV will be very interested in seeing him again. BUT.....I didn't like to see the punishment he shipped, when I do think that with some technical adjustments he can be a more effective fighter.

It does seem he has regressed technically, though not necessarily in his time under Roach. He fought the same sort of way against Frampton really. I think the problem is once he scored a couple of eye catching KO's and confirmed he definitely was a puncher, he started to look for KO's and became more a stalker/grinder. This has made his intent more obvious and he's become much easier to hit.

Its his mindset that needs addressing, he needs to look back at his old tapes and see how effective and dangerous he was when he was mixing in some back foot boxing and movement. He's proved he's a tough f*cker but he needs to get back to boxing, jabbing and setting big punches up with technical smarts not brawn.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: