LiveFight
November 20, 2018, 12:16:11 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PPV  (Read 761 times)
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

PPV
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »

It looks like it's going to be an expensive end to the year now that BT Sport Box Office is up and running.  All the below look likely to be on Box Office on one platform or another:

GGG v Canelo 2
AJ v Povetkin
Groves v Smith
Fury v Wilder
Frampton v Warrington

And if Usyk v Bellew gets made I'd anticipate that can be added to the list as well so looks like a good £100 plus in PPV on top of current Sky/BT Sport/BN subscriptions.
LiveFight
PPV
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »

Goldenboy87
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »

It looks like it's going to be an expensive end to the year now that BT Sport Box Office is up and running.  All the below look likely to be on Box Office on one platform or another:

GGG v Canelo 2
AJ v Povetkin
Groves v Smith
Fury v Wilder
Frampton v Warrington

And if Usyk v Bellew gets made I'd anticipate that can be added to the list as well so looks like a good £100 plus in PPV on top of current Sky/BT Sport/BN subscriptions.

Just got crazy now, pretty much can make anything a Box Office Fight now. Another potential (but wouldnít hold my breath!) is Brook v Khan in December according to Hearn he has reserved Millenium Stadium for a date.

The only 2 fights for me that definitely warrant PPV are AJ v Povetkin just purely based off him having such a high demand and popularity that it just ainít ever gonna change. Also Fury v Wilder due to the size of the event and everything that will come with it.

I could also see Khan v Brook as a definite PPV if it gets made but the other fights just should not be PPV in my opinion but there have been much lesser PPV fights made recently including Whyte v Parker so in that case the other fights probably are PPV.

Obviously the 4am time of the Canelo v GGG fight doesnít make sense to me why that would PPV in the UK.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »

Khan vs Brook was a few years ago. Not anymore in my opinion. Its just like making Clev v Bellew 2 a PPV now
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »

Just got crazy now, pretty much can make anything a Box Office Fight now. Another potential (but wouldnít hold my breath!) is Brook v Khan in December according to Hearn he has reserved Millenium Stadium for a date.

The only 2 fights for me that definitely warrant PPV are AJ v Povetkin just purely based off him having such a high demand and popularity that it just ainít ever gonna change. Also Fury v Wilder due to the size of the event and everything that will come with it.

I could also see Khan v Brook as a definite PPV if it gets made but the other fights just should not be PPV in my opinion but there have been much lesser PPV fights made recently including Whyte v Parker so in that case the other fights probably are PPV.

Obviously the 4am time of the Canelo v GGG fight doesnít make sense to me why that would PPV in the UK.

Iím surprised you think AJ v Povetkin is the most justifiable from that list. Personally Iíd have that as one of the least interesting/worthy just ahead of Frampton v Warrington.

Out of that list, the fights Iíd be happier to PPV would be

GGG v Canelo
Groves v Smith
Fury v Wilder
AJ v Povetkin
Frampton v Warrington
Goldenboy87
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »

Iím surprised you think AJ v Povetkin is the most justifiable from that list. Personally Iíd have that as one of the least interesting/worthy just ahead of Frampton v Warrington.

Out of that list, the fights Iíd be happier to PPV would be

GGG v Canelo
Groves v Smith
Fury v Wilder
AJ v Povetkin
Frampton v Warrington

If it was based off the fight alone I would put AJ v Povetkin at the bottom of the list in terms of interest for me. Povetkin struggled to beat Marco Huck and Price so doesn't have a prayer against AJ imo.

I was more making the point of PPV in my mind should be fights as Hearn always bangs on about that grabs the interest of the casual fans who want to pay to watch the fight.

The only 2 fights I can see on that list that would tick that box would be AJ v Povetkin and Fury v Wilder.

Casual fans aint staying up till 4am to pay to watch Canelo v GGG.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »

bigbibbs

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »

For me all this ppv is beyond a joke. I have lost almost all interest in boxing now. I can't see me paying for it again ever as even when I do I feel let down.
I would rather just watch it in YouTube the next day or so for free.
The media hardly reports on boxing so it's very easy to avoid results.
It's just like back in the day when it all shifted over to sky in the first place.
Boxing left behind a tonne of fans from terrestrial.
Now ppv and multiple pay services is severing most of the rest.
I noticed that the box nation /fw fights on Saturday were only on bt sport so what's that all about
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »

I noticed that the box nation /fw fights on Saturday were only on bt sport so what's that all about

As far as I can work out, all of FW's fighters are on BT Sport now and Box Nation has essentially been taken over by MTK Global.  I did see that BN announced a few more overseas the other day but I'm not sure how long term its future looks.  I did see mention that it was closing its HD channel at the end of this months as well.  My subscription got cancelled when my debit card expired on its payment platform.  I've not re-subscribed and I know few other lads that used to be regulars on here have cancelled in recent weeks also.
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »

PPV is all part of the shift in appeal to the mass audiences, rather than us hard bitten long term fans.  It goes hand in hand with all the hype and general BS which surrounds fights nowadays.  I cannot see it stopping any time soon.  Only way would be for nobody much to buy it, but that's not gonna happen any time soon either.  Just one of the reasons that my passion for the sport has wained, along with a good many others it seems.  However, I am Chicago-bound in Oct for our local fighter, Callum Johnson, to take on that beast Beterbiev.  It would be rude of me not to!   Grin
bigbibbs

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »

Well that's it for me then no more live fights if its all BT and SKY.
I'm not paying for either which is me frozen out. I think this is a smack in the face for real fans who want to watch real fights and not just the bs.
BN was good while it lasted but I guess bt will make all the big fights ppv too.
The only things I might pay for would be tyson v wilder/Joshua or maybe golovkin rematch
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

The UK is heading towards a US like market, anything that means something will be ppv. The standards of ppv are so mediocre now it really is a pretty depressing time to be a boxing fan.

Iím not sure Iíll pay for any of the above unless we are having people round.

Joshua vs Povetkin is an awful fight with a bang average undercard, for me itís ghe least value for money out the lot of them.

Team Groves
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: