LiveFight
March 25, 2019, 09:09:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats Happened?  (Read 1302 times)
liamo

« on: September 29, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

This forum used to be great craic. The discussions, sometimes i felt were very "us and them" in regards to some banter and views with someone like me and other members that knew each other; but nonetheless, some good informative views. Nowadays its dead!

Discuss.
LiveFight
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »

Thinking the same. Can’t believe there’s no Groves/Smith thread. Miss this place.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »

Nobody posts anymore. Everyone is on social media.

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

Massive shame. Social media has its plus points but when it comes to boxing talk it's so heavily saturated by moronic comments by people with an inability to string a coherent and well reasoned post about a fight or a talking point within the sport. This place used to be an escape from all of that so it's a crying shame that the place is generally speaking abandoned these days. Imagine how bouncing this place would have been a couple of years ago with events like Canelo GGG, the AJ fight, Wilder-Fury upcoming, the Smith-Groves fight, BJS and his failed test situation. Discussion would have been rife (and for the most part, well reasoned) back in the day.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »

Massive shame. Social media has its plus points but when it comes to boxing talk it's so heavily saturated by moronic comments by people with an inability to string a coherent and well reasoned post about a fight or a talking point within the sport. This place used to be an escape from all of that so it's a crying shame that the place is generally speaking abandoned these days. Imagine how bouncing this place would have been a couple of years ago with events like Canelo GGG, the AJ fight, Wilder-Fury upcoming, the Smith-Groves fight, BJS and his failed test situation. Discussion would have been rife (and for the most part, well reasoned) back in the day.

I do also think this site had strong ties with Hatton , Froch etc and with their retirement came a large portion of people paying less interest to the day to day fights and only watching the big PPV stuff.

LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »

jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »

I do also think this site had strong ties with Hatton , Froch etc and with their retirement came a large portion of people paying less interest to the day to day fights and only watching the big PPV stuff.

I definitely think that has a lot to do with it. People seemed to have an emotional attachment to Hatton & Froch. I must admit my interest has diminished a lot since Carl packed up after Wembley. Since then there has been nobody to support in the same way. It feels like Matchroom want to make the "show" the attraction instead of the individual, a bit like UFC. Hence why the play bloody Sweet Caroline at every event

The over saturation of PPV's know has also made me lose some interest. For major events I don't mind paying for but others, Clev v Bellew 2, Brook v Gavin, Whyte v Parker as examples, makes me lose interest. Plus boxing reporting seems awful nowadays. Sky seem to cheer lead for matchroom fighters no matter what is actually happening. If you read the live commentary on fights on their website their fighters never seem to lose a round
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »

I definitely think that has a lot to do with it. People seemed to have an emotional attachment to Hatton & Froch. I must admit my interest has diminished a lot since Carl packed up after Wembley. Since then there has been nobody to support in the same way. It feels like Matchroom want to make the "show" the attraction instead of the individual, a bit like UFC. Hence why the play bloody Sweet Caroline at every event

The over saturation of PPV's know has also made me lose some interest. For major events I don't mind paying for but others, Clev v Bellew 2, Brook v Gavin, Whyte v Parker as examples, makes me lose interest. Plus boxing reporting seems awful nowadays. Sky seem to cheer lead for matchroom fighters no matter what is actually happening. If you read the live commentary on fights on their website their fighters never seem to lose a round

When this site first began I did an interview with Mikkel Kessler and numerous others in 2007. That would be unheard of nowadays.

Infact nowadays proper interesting web articles have dried up, as websites simply post up the structured press release sent out by the promoter.

Gaining access to a fighter has gotten harder, and many are told not to do interviews - unless it can be controlled.

Some fighters have very manicured PR and everything is written for them and nothing juicy/real discussed.

I could post up 20 fluff articles a day but whats the point if twenty other sites put up the exact same copy. Most other 'news' is what someone said on twitter anyway. E.g. GiveMeSport is an abomination of adverts mixed up with someone's tweet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:04:13 PM by Red » Logged
bigbibbs

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »

Well I'm up for getting this site going again. Surely if for nothing else it's for us who are actually interested in boxing.
I admit my own interest has waned due to me lot having access to the TV channels and my life being busy.
But do miss not knowing who all the champs are which ten years ago I knew.
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »

got to say, since murdocks puppets at matchroom have turned boxing into a circus ive lost almost all interest.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »

got to say, since murdocks puppets at matchroom have turned boxing into a circus ive lost almost all interest.
That is one reason I don't have much interest any more. Hearn has done some brilliant things for boxing but there is a lot of WWE about it now as well.

If my memory is correct I think a lot of people lost interest in this site around Froch v Groves 2. Some of the comments/arguments around that time were very childish and a lot of the serious discussion seemed to stop
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »

That is one reason I don't have much interest any more. Hearn has done some brilliant things for boxing but there is a lot of WWE about it now as well.

If my memory is correct I think a lot of people lost interest in this site around Froch v Groves 2. Some of the comments/arguments around that time were very childish and a lot of the serious discussion seemed to stop

It was always childish and I was usually at the heart of most it.

Perhaps I've gotten old & responsible  Grin
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »

Nice to see more posts on this site in the last couple of weeks
Havoc
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »

It is a damn shame for sure.

It used to be that i would log on most days and there were some great debates going on.

I logged on 2 weeks ago to see if there was a thread on Groves vs Smith and there wasn't anything posted. I was shocked and saddened.

Social media is killing a lot of independent websites for sure, especially ones with educated people with well thought out opinions.

It is very hard to debate someone with logic and facts these days. To many precious snowflakes around that cry some form of discrimination that never existed 5 years ago.

This is one of the few websites that i still log in to so i would hate to see it lose it's soul
ashishwarrior

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »

Could not get on here a few times in the last month or two
Slow site at times but solid in all areas
A bit like froch the boxer
Very informative posters to , shame if it went
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

yeah,it is a shame, esp when you look at some of the other forums. i dont go on any regularly, and never posted but they do hold a morbid curiosity for me.

CHB which seems to be in a state of constant and vitriolic civil war.

there are some posters who started their own forum as they got booted, lots of threads titled 'how many times have you been arrested' 'whats the most pissed youve been' 'how many fat birds have you shagged' etc. high level discourse.

boxing 24,the north korea of internet forums yet still somehow one of the most racists site ive visited on the internet.

LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: