LiveFight
March 25, 2019, 09:08:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callum Smith Anfield homecoming? Groves says "No retirement"  (Read 451 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

The Kop is calling Smith back, not to resume his seat but so they can roar him into battle now that Liverpool FC has a license to put on boxing as well as football matches.

Smith's patience has been rewarded by opportunity arriving at the very moment maturity was attained.

The man known as Saint George, having painstakingly repaired his broken shoulder, must now find a way to piece together his shattered crown.

'No retirement,' he proclaimed.

Not at just 30. Not while there is a champion's reluctance to go out on his knees in his own corner, coupled with the will to go through it all again.

For Smith, life is beautiful. WBA world champion, Ring magazine champion, Super Series tournament champion, the No 1 super-middleweight, five million dollars richer, first baby on the way, more dream fulfilment in the offing at Anfield and in Las Vegas.

Having gone through seven months of surgery, rehab and agony only to be felled by a disembowelling body shot in the seventh round of the third defence of his world title, he has to find a way back.

As Smith's long stride takes him on to prospective world title unification fights against WBO and IBF champions Gilberto Ramirez and Jose Uzcategui respectively, Groves will spend a lengthy period of rest and recovery seeking out alternative return routes to the top.

One door is ajar. David Benavidez, the US-Mexican prodigy, faces being stripped of his WBC title or at least withdrawn from his upcoming defence against Anthony Dirrell after testing positive for cocaine.

Should that title fall vacant a scenario presents itself in which Groves and James DeGale - assuming the latter came successfully through last night's (NB Sunday) warm up in California against Fidel Munoz - could meet in a final eliminator for the right to fight Dirrell for the WBC belt.

Now although the rematch between the Saint and Chunky has been long-awaited, it would not carry quite the same box office clout without a title at stake. But the public would still be drawn to see which of these old rivals would win his way back into championship contention.

Chris Eubank Jr - who claimed a weird tick-over victory on the undercard in Jeddah when Ireland's JJ McDonagh quit at the end of the third claiming shoulder injury but wanted to fight on once the gloves were off - is keen to intrude on any such arrangement.

There is talk of Eubank boxing DeGale next but it is unclear how that would fit as neatly into the championship jigsaw as Chunky v Saint George.

LiveFight
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »

I can see Groves taking an easier fight next year and then Smith in a rematch. Then retire win or lose.

If Smith fights at Anfield I would’ve thought they’d be looking at a second fight with Rocky Fielding
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »

Surely they can't build a Fielding v Smith rematch after how conclusive the first one was.

I'm not sure if I have any interest in Groves v Degale now. Groves looked like he quit the other night to me (I have only seen the stoppage not the whole fight mind). Degale has looked pony for a while now and I think is just looking to cash out

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fielding go up against Groves.

I'm not sure where Eubank Jnr fits in as I'm still not sold on him. Although going after Fielding now looks a good route to a world title. And Hearn did say he has something big lined up for Fielding in December
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »

Incredible to think Groves is just 30 years old.

He looks very old and shopworn.

He is too stubborn to retire and I forecast a chilling knockout in the future if he does carry on.

A win over the feather fisted, previously-beaten Eubank has flattered him. He should turn it in now. He's made good money, had some great fights and needs to think about another role in the sport.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

He looked like shit on the scales compared to Smith, and during the fight definitely looked half a step off the sharpness that he needed to be able to defy the size deficit on the night. He looked small and frail compared to Smith who looked big, lean, strong and sharp. Smith was superb. Basic, but very good and that finish was uttetlyu clinical. Groves always looked vulnerable when they exchanged and as the fight wore on it wasn't remotely surprising to see him clocked the way he was en route to being stopped. I'm with Red in that he could probably turn it in now, though I guess looking to top up his pension against the likes of Eubank or Degale (or some other decent name who doesn't hit too hard) wouldn't be the worst shout. Either way I think he's had his time as a world champ.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

Looking at the super middle weight situation now is quite depressing considering how it was.

Eubank Jnr, Groves and Degale all look either past it or never as good as people thought. Callum Smith is no1 in the world but looks nothing out of the ordinary to me. And Rocky Fielding owns a part of a world title FFS
ashishwarrior

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »

Said it before
The froch fights took years off groves career
It's one of them careful what you wish for
He claimed there was nothing good about Carl's achievements / career
Well one thing is its shitting all over georgie boys

And yes he looks done
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: