Khan fight in jeopardy: Motoring offences scupper visa
Amir Khan's fight with Paulie Malignaggi have been thrown into doubt following the denial of the Bolton Olympian's work visa through the U.S. authorities.
The WBA light welter champion has now had to relocate to Vancouver in Canada, as they nervously wait for a visa to be accepted and approved by the consul there.
Freddie Roach has flown to continue training with Khan, in the hopeful event that the fight continues.
A spokesman for Goldenboy promotions has indicated that the visa rejection was likely to Khan's several convictions for motoring offences.
Khan's high-performance BMW allegedly reached a top speed of 47mph as he overtook vehicles in the wrong lane just before the traffic lights in Bolton town centre.
The injured pedestrian, Geoffrey Hatton, 55, told Bolton Crown Court that just before the collision he heard a "screaming engine" and then found himself on the floor shouting "I've lost my leg".
Foundry worker Mr Hatton suffered a broken leg in the crash on March 2 last year.
Khan was given a six-month driving ban and fined £1,000. Only months later he was back in the dock to face speeding charges. The police stated that they spotted Khan "Off the clock" and approximately 155mph. A further 42 days were added to his ban.
Recently he was involved in a crash with a cyclist who was hurt by Khan's Range Rover Sport. But no charges were brought on that occasion.
Discuss in FORUM HERE
John Murray v Gary Buckland: 7 May
Murray to fight Buckland for European Title
LONDON (28th April) Unbeaten British Lightweight Champion and European mandatory challenger John Murray will be looking to add the vacant European lightweight title to his collection when he challenges Cardiff’s Gary Buckland on Friday 7th May at the Kingsway Leisure Centre, Widnes. The fight will also be screened live on Sky Sports 1 HD from 10pm.
John Murray said: “I’m really looking forward to this one, I know it is going to be a hell of a fight; he has been in good form of late, winning his last 4 fights on the bounce. He will be full of enthusiasm and taking this opportunity to be crowned the new British and European champion, but I know I am going to need to be at the top of my game, I’ll be stepping in that ring to knock the enthusiasm out of him.”
British Champion Murray defended his British title in style when he stopped former British and European champion Jon Thaxton inside 4 rounds last October, since then it has been a frustrating time as European title holder Anthony Mezaache decided to vacate the title 3 weeks before their arranged bout in March, the EBU then offered the fight to Kevin Mitchell and Andrei Kudriavtsev who both declined the chance and then Lee McAllister had to pull out due to injury.
John Murray’s promoter Mick Hennessy said “It has been a frustrating few months not only for John but for myself also. We worked hard in getting this European opportunity for John and before Mezaache pulled out they were set to make history and be the first to fight for the European title on US soil, live on Showtime, the fight was then offered to Mitchell and Kudriavtsev but they both had their reasons for not taking it. We then had to endure the wait for purse bids for Murray vs. McAllister, but due to injury Lee had to withdraw. Now EBU number 9 ranked Buckland has been given the opportunity to fight Murray, it is all set for 7th May”.
“I believe John will show the British public that he is the number one Lightweight not only in the UK but Europe also. I believe this is John Murray’s year and that he has the potential of becoming a major world champion within the next 12 months.” Mick Hennessy also added.
Murray added “I have been waiting for this opportunity for a while now but I have been training harder than ever, the sparring with Carl Johanneson and Antony Crolla has been great, we have made sure no stone is unturned. I can't wait to show people what they've been missing,”
In recent weeks John Murray has been pushed up to number 10 in the Ring Magazine rankings.
“I’m really chuffed with my top ten place, Seeing myself up with the best in the world is something special, it is a milestone achievement in my career, I’ll pick up the magazine, frame it, and keep it forever,” said a proud Murray
John Murray added “Once I have stopped Buckland within the distance and secured the Lonsdale belt outright and added the European belt to my collection I will be looking to challenge for a World title by the end of the year”.
Tickets for the show at the Kingsway Leisure Centre, Widnes are on sale from the Matchroom Sport box office on 01277 359900, tickets are priced at £30 for unreserved seating and £50 for ringside.
For further information and ticket details on this event please check out www.hennessysports.com, www.matchroomsport.com,
Murray in action:-
Nevada Commission: Margarito gloves NOT loaded for Cotto
Nevada State Athletic commission director Keith Kizer informed Fanhouse that he believed that Antonio Margarito's gloves were not fishy when he knocked out the then-unbeaten Miguel Cotto at the MGM Grand during July 2008.
"I know that he wasn't rigged during the Cotto fight because we had our inspectors check him out and everything, as did Cotto's people. He was fully checked out," Kizer said of Margarito, who was subsequently found in his very next fight to have an illegal substance in his gloves and suspended from the sport for a year."
The bout was surrounded by controversy after Margarito's 'loaded gloves' episode against Shane Mosely. Many Cotto fans were extremely angry that such a thing could happen in today's sport of boxing. Almost all blame loaded gloves for Cotto's defeat at the hands of Margarito.
"One of our referees, Jay Nady, was back there, we had our inspectors back there. Cotto's guy was back there. They all checked him out and everything was fine," said Kizer."
"They felt the hand wraps and everything, and we have an inspector who I've seen check the hand wraps before, and he checks them out thoroughly," said Kizer. "He watched the hand wraps that night. If you don't have experienced inspectors, you can probably slip something through."
When the subject of awarding Margarito a licence was raised, Kizer was non-committal. Suggesting it would be down to his chairman to make that decision as and when needed.
"Margarito could come to Nevada today, apply for a license, and I could give him a license administratively, but I'm not going to do that," said Kizer. "He would have to be placed on our agenda, and that would be up to our chairman. She could put him on it right away, or she could make him wait a while."
"They could either say, 'Go back to California' first, and until they say 'you've done your time, we're not going to even bother with you,'" said Kizer.
It is believed Margarito is being lined up with a couple of warm up fights before Bob Arum will stage a showdown with Manny Pacquiao late 2010 or 2011. But that could be a bluff towards any Mayweather negotiations, should the pretty boy make it past Shane Mosely this weekend.
Watch Enzo Macc vs Kotlobay: VIDEO
discuss in FORUM HERE
Froch vs Abraham: Neutral ground
It would seem that the big showdown originally agreed to take place in England between Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham will now be brought to a neutral venue, possibly in America according to sources surrounding the situation.
Nottingham's Froch, who lost his WBC super middleweight title to Mikkel Kessler at the weekend was alarmed when Saulerland informed Froch's promoter that they now wished for the Abraham fight to be staged in Berlin.
Froch and Hennessy were understood to have made a verbal agreement and handshake to allow Froch vs Kessler to be aired in Kessler's homeland of Denmark, followed by his stablemate Arthur Abraham to then come to Froch's homeland in their next fight.
Tempers flared in the wake of Kessler's triumph, when Saulerland declared they now wished for the Abraham fight to take place in his home city of Berlin. They also declared that there was no written agreement for the English date and that their contract only stipulates that it 'is to be held in Europe'.
In wake of Roger Tilleman's shameful 117-111 scorecard, Froch declared he would rather pull out of the tournament than go to Germany. Declaring that if the fight went to points, that he'd not stand any chance of a win.
Tilleman was the controversial referee during the farcical Robin Reid vs Seven Ottke fight. The bias shown by Tilleman was described by Duke Mckenzie as the worst officiating he'd witnessed in 17 years of covering boxing. Tilleman pulled off Reid and warned him during many of the occasions where he had Ottke in trouble and seemingly interfered with the action whenever it swung in the Brit's favour.
Alarm bells rung when his name was announced as one of the judges, with boxing forum's alive with talk of bias towards his German paymasters, the focus of Froch's camp on his scorecard was paramount.
It came as shock that such a closely fought contest, which many neutral observers had Froch ahead, including Al Bernstein in the Showtime studio, was scored in such a one-sided manner by Tilleman.
Froch fans attending the weigh-in noticed his rapport with Kessler and he shook the fighter's hand and went to great lengths to converse with him.
Now in light of the above, it would seem the warring promoters will likely take their event to America. Whether it forms part of another Super six event or a stand alone fight it yet to be seen. New York's Madison Square Garden would make a good location, given the great city and shorter flight times from Europe.
Vegas is the best place on earth for boxing, but it is not known whether the two fighter's fans would make nor afford the 13 hour flight to sin city.
More news as it happens.
Robert McCracken interview on Froch v Kessler
discuss in FORUM HERE
Kessler victorious in war with Froch
Mikkel Kessler took the WBC super middleweight title in a blockbuster against Nottingham's Carl Froch tonight at the MCH in Herning, Denmark.
Froch, looking relaxed throughout, landed some heavy duty shots on the winner, in a very evenly matched fight between two big super middleweights.
Kessler pressed forward throughout, pressing the action as Froch counter-punched his way through Kessler's jabs and right hands.
At first both men dug in behind their jabs, before the action swung in Froch's favour by the midpoint, as the Nottigham man rocked Kessler with his custom heavy artillery. Froch then became comfortable, sensing he was in the driving seat of the action and was bossing the action.
Meanwhile Kessler's stuck with his plan and pressed forward with determination as Froch looked for big shots to hurt the Dane.
Backed by a vociferous crowd, the challenger continued to launch a two fisted attack on the former champion, in what were difficult rounds to score. Meanwhile Froch's trainer Robert McCracken implored his man to take the initiative and 'take him out, he's there for the taking'.
The final two rounds ignited as both men threw away their boxing skills and elected to throw bombs at one another in an effort to take any doubt away from the scorecards. Kessler remained busy, whilst Froch looked to unload his power shots. It was scrappy yet exhilarating and the viewer wish the fight could have continued, but the final bell rang.
Belgium's Roger Tilleman, a referee during the farcial Robin Reid vs Sven Ottke debacle, shafted the former champion with a ridiculous score of 11-117 in favour of Kessler. Guido Cavalleri from Italy delivered a more realistic score of 115-113, whilst the final judge Daniel Van de Wiele, also from Belgium tabled a score of 116-112.
Froch who revealed he is expecting the birth of his first child at the end of June, was magnanimous in defeat was interviewed by former Manchester United goal keeping legend Peter Schemeichel, who declared Froch has one hell of a chin. Froch replied "I took some big punches, off a big puncher. I give Mikkel Kessler all the credit he deserves. He stayed in there and dug in. He's a strong proud warrior, which I said from the start. I never gave him any bad mouth, never abused him because there was no need to do that. We're two gentleman." said Froch.
"The Danish fans have been absolutely brilliant. We said from the start that the match between myself and Mikkel Kessler was going to be a great fight, a toe to toe battle. Like I said, I thought the fight could have gone either way. The belts still in the tournament and I'll get the chance to win it back - and the Super Six boxing classic is still red hot and alive... and I will be back. I will definitely be back !"
Meanwhile Kessler, badly cut over the left eye, was elated he'd got his tournament campaign back on track:
"It was a very hard fight. Carl Froch is very physical and strong, but I fought my style instead of fighting his, because a few rounds I came and fought his fight and that was wrong, that's why I got hit. So in between rounds I had to change it (my style). There was big pressure on me, I trained very hard for 4 months. Last time was a bad day at the office but now I'm back. I'm happy I proved it for everybody here."
"Froch was a very hard fight. He didn't let the big crowd scare him. He fought his fight, but it was my day today. I'm very happy."
Kessler and Froch provided the best fight of the tournament tonight to the delight of boxing fans and Showtime's bosses. Froch, never in a dull fight promises more fireworks against big punching Arthur Abraham next, whilst the new champion takes on Allan Green in the first defence of his regained title.
discuss in FORUM HERE
Froch interview with Danish Tv: VIDEO
discuss in FORUM HERE