Scott Harrison 'on his own' says Hughes
Barry Hughes, the manager of Scott Harrison, has revealed that he feels he has done all he can for the troubled Scottish boxer.
Hughes, recently linked with moves to buy Partick Thistle, said that Harrison had to "sort out his demons" before he could think of a return to the ring.
"People say I maybe made a few mistakes by looking after Scott," Hughes said.
"I signed up Scott for fight dates, not court dates, and he's got to tidy things up before we can move on again."
Harrison has been plagued by troubles out of the ring recently - culminating in him facing chargeas of assault and attempted theft in Spain.
"It's all about Scott wanting to help himself - it's come to that decision.
"Scott's a good friend, I can only feel greatly sorry for him and I hope he pulls out of whatever he is in. I'm still indirectly helping him in Spain but just not, as publicised, as normal."
Hughes, however, refused to rule out a return to boxing for Harrison.
"There's a lot to clean off the slate before Scott can think about boxing again," he said.
"You could never say he'd never fight again, but he'd need to clean up his act.
"There's probably 6-12 months of him doing that before he should consider boxing again.
"He'll be sadly missed in boxing if he never fights again. A lot of people have offered to help Scott, and it's whether Scott wants it that's the problem.
"But, if the Scott Harrison situation came up again I would do it all over again.
"The biggest lesson I've learned is there are no guarantees in sport, especially in boxing."
discuss in FORUM
John Duddy 'Title shot in December' ?
Duddy expects December title shot
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Boxing: John Duddy's second fight on Irish soil is now expected to take place in October after his scheduled return to Ireland was postponed yesterday.
The Derryman was due to fight in Belfast's King's Hall on August 25th, but a cut above his eye sustained in the 10 round stoppage of Italian Alessio Furlan in the National Stadium earlier this month requires a little more time to heal.
There were also problems securing an opponent after German Mahir Oral was injured in a sparring session.
Duddy is required to fight at least once more in Europe before he can challenge European champion Sebastian Sylvester.
He is now expected to fight in the Waterfront in Belfast on either October 6th or 13th, with a view to a shot at Sylvester on December 1st or 8th at the King's Hall.
Duddy has a professional record of 21-0, with 16 knock-outs, but introduced himself to an Irish audience with an, at times, laboured win over Furlan. It was his first fight under the guidance of revered
trainer Don Turner.
His connections at Irish Ropes in New York feel the partnership is beginning to blossom and by the time December comes and a step up in class is necessary, the 28-year-old will be ready.
Reflecting on the Furlan fight today manager Eddie McLoughlin said: "There were a two rounds there, I think they were the fourth and fifth. One of them he probably lost, the other he was getting caught, though there were exchanges.
"Then once he got back on the right track in the sixth he was coasting again.
"But when the bar is risen in the form of opposition, Duddy's performance will rise as well. And I genuinely think that you will see the real Duddy - we all will - against Sylvester or whoever is at the helm then."
Irish Ropes had intended on promoting the next fight on their own but have decided to once again team up with Meath-based promoter Brian Peters, whose contribution to Duddy's Irish debut was "above and beyond all expectations", according to McLoughlin.
discuss in FORUM
Alex Arthur must wait.....
Arthur's claim on crown slips after Guzman fights on.
ALEX ARTHUR'S hopes of becoming the first Edinburgh boxer to be crowned a world champion since Ken Buchanan have been dealt a cruel blow by the man currently holding the belt.
Joan Guzman, the WBO super-featherweight champion, has decided to fight on in the division leaving Arthur to wait for his chance at winning the title outright. Guzman, who has won all 27 of his professional fights, was expected to step up from the 9st 4lb division, thus relinquishing the title which would have gone to Arthur, who won the WBO's interim title after knocking out Koba Gogoladze in Cardiff earlier this month.
Guzman must now fight Arthur within six months or relinquish his crown, however the 31-year-old Columbian's next fight will be a world-title defence against Mexican challenger Humberto Soto in California on November 17.
Soto is ranked No.3 on the WBO list and Arthur is at No.5.
Arthur's manager, Frank Warren, said: "If Guzman does now go ahead with the defence against Soto, then the winner of that one must face Alex in their next fight. I also believe it remains possible Guzman will not make the weight of 9st 4lb, in which case he would relinquish the title. It is frustrating for Alex, but the most important thing is he is now guaranteed a shot at the title."
Warren also confirmed Arthur will be kept busy with a fight in Edinburgh in November or December, either defending his interim title, or the full title if it is vacated in the meantime.
discuss in FORUM
You're second best, Ricky
By PAT SHEEHAN The Sun newspaper
July 31, 2007
FLOYD MAYWEATHER has told Ricky Hatton: Come in No 2, your time is up.
The cocky undefeated Yank insists world light- welterweight champion Hitman will get a thrashing if their December 8 clash in Las Vegas goes ahead.
Mayweather, the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, reckons he has cut short his retirement of three months just to batter Hatton at the MGM Grand Hotel.
He was shooting from the lip at the prospect of pocketing around Ā£8million for the eagerly-awaited battle.
Mayweather, 30, said: āI donāt know who is the pound-for-pound No 2 but there aināt no fighter in the world like me.
āHattonās in for a rude awakening if he thinks Iām like any fighter heās faced. Blood, sweat and tears, thatās my business.
āHatton donāt compare. Iām one of the best fighters of all time.ā
Unbeaten Hatton, 28, landed the fight of his dreams after rubbishing Mayweatherās boring style and insisting his KO of Jose Luis Castillo last month boasted more excitement than in the whole of the Yankās career.
Mayweather added: āI saw Castillo get hit with a body shot, turn around, take five steps and sit down. I wasnāt impressed.
āIām giving Hatton the chance to be in the biggest fight of his career ā I donāt have to.
āWhen Iām done with him heāll think he was fighting four people.ā
The Vegas showdown has been agreed in principle but no contracts have yet been signed.
dicsuss in FORUM
Thaxton V Khan - 'for Free'
THAXTON: AMIR āKHANā GET ME IN THE RING FOR FREE
John Thaxton believes he has found a novel way to cut through boxing politics and secure a marquee showdown against Olympic Silver Medalist Amir Khan.
With the assistance of his promoter Hennessy Sports, the British Lightweight champion has secured backing from Internet Casino giant GoldenPalace.com that would allow him to fight his Commonwealth counterpart without the need for a purse from the event promoter.
The Norwich hero hopes the offer will tempt team Khan to accept an old school, double title showdown for their next fight, currently scheduled for October 6th at the Nottingham Arena.
āAmirās promoter doesn't have to pay me a single penny,ā said Thaxton. āGoldenPalace.com will put up my purse, with no strings attached.
'Mick Hennessy wants to make the big fights, so he is more than happy for me to appear on somebody elseās show as long as I am getting treated fairly.
āMy broadcaster Sky Sports has been very supportive as well. They have shown their commitment to boxing once again by agreeing to me appearing on another broadcasterās event if this fight happens. I am sure ITV want to show Khan in the best possible fights for their viewers.
āBoth Khan and I have titles so there is no need for anyone to talk about options, so all round this is the perfect solution.
'Unless Khan doesn't want it, there is absolutely no reason this fight cannot happen. Iām ready for that date but I need to know if they are up for it now, I donāt want anyone springing an offer on me with two weeks to go.
āI have earned the right to call myself the best lightweight in Britain. If he wants to take it off me, he won't get a better chance.
āNow he is Commonwealth champion he needs to step up to the plate rather than going back to easier fights. He has been talking about being a world champion by the time heās 21. Surely if heās on schedule for that then he should be prepared to step in with the current British champion?
āI have been reading headlines that he is keen to fight me. Well here I am. Look no further, Iām here, ready to go.
āI believe he has shown a lot of disrespect to me and other fighters in Britain by saying we have to fight him before its too late. How can he say that when challenges are put in front of him, and then he doesnāt take them up? Itās beyond belief.
āIām just saying it how it is. We all saw Willie Limond show that he can be vulnerable.
āLimond was not known as a puncher but was well in the fight and knocked Amir down in the sixth.
āAmir did well to get up and stop Limond two rounds later, but if I got the chance to hit him, he would stay hit and not get up.ā
GoldenPalace.com is renowned for their highly valued support of boxing. They have got behind the careers of ring legend Bernard Hopkins, WBC Light Welter Champ Junior Witter and stand out talent Carl Froch, the fast rising WBC #1 and British super middleweight king.
This proposal is the most recent extension of their long term support for Hennessy Sports.
āAfter following the career of Thaxton and Khan, we decided to intervene and attempt to hurry up the process for what we all feel would be a spectacular bout between two champions,ā said Richard Rowe, CEO of Goldenpalace.com.
Hennessy Sports head Mick Hennessy is equally as keen to see the showdown.
āPolitics and money can prevent big fights from happening in Britain, but we are willing to take those out of the equation to try and make Jon Thaxton versus Amir Khan happen on October 6,ā he said.
discuss in FORUM
Hatton gunning for Floyd
Sky Sports Article Here
Light welterweight Ricky Hatton is eager to fight Floyd Mayweather, stating: "It would be the greatest day of my life."
The official announcement for the clash is imminent, with the fight due to be held in Las Vegas on December 8th.
Hatton Stops Castillo last time out :-
It is expected that the fight will be promoted by Oscar de La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, in a deal verbally agreed by Hatton's father, Ray.
Hatton believes that the fight against Mayweather would be the highlight of his career and has spoken of his excitement for the impending battle.
He told the Daily Express: "Floyd is the one I want more than anybody else and if the fight can be made I would be there like a shot."
Amongst his achievements, the 28-year-old has defeated Kostya Tszyu and Jose Luis Castillo, but feels that nothing would beat the opportunity to shut up the unbeaten 'Pretty Boy'.
He said: "He's been mouthing off about what he would do to me for years, but then so did Kostya Tszyu and look what happened to him.
"Floyd is a great fighter but if he thinks I'm going to turn up and just lie back and take what he has got to dish out then he has got another thing coming.
"Just getting in the ring with him will be the greatest day of my life, other than when my son Campbell was born. It will be massive."
Amir Khan V Graham Earl - December
Luton WBU champ ready for clash with boxing golden boy.
Luton lightweight boxing champion Graham Earl should finally meet Amir Khan on Saturday, December 8.
That's the date promoters Sports Network have lined up for a mouth-watering clash between the stablemates with the venue likely to be London's ExCeL exhibition centre.
Speculation has been mounting over a possible meeting between WBU world champion Earl, 28, and new Commonwealth king Khan, 20.
It was originally intended for the clash to be staged in Nottingham on October 6. But Khan's wobble, when he had to rise off the canvas before beating Willie Limond earlier this month, has prompted the bout to be put back.
Both fighters will now take on other opponents in Nottingham before squaring up to each other for what is sure to be a Christmas cracker of a contest later in the year.
The new date was put forward at a meeting between boxing chief Frank Warren and Luton puncher Earl ā although Earl has yet to sign final terms for the encounter.
Earl told Luton Today: "They've decided to put it back to December, but it all looks like it should still go ahead.
"I haven't agreed terms yet, but as long as everything is finalised it will be on and it'll certainly be a big one.
"It'll be one of the great British fights, but only because of the way Khan has been built up by the media and his team.
"It's a chance for me to finally shut him up and put him back a peg or two and then look to move on to the major world belts."
discuss in FORUM
Oganov V Zuniga on Sept 1st
Sports Nut article original HERE
Aussie-based Russian super-slugger Victor Oganov will be chasing his 27th KO in 27 fights when he tackles heavy fisted Colombian Fulgencio Zuniga on September 1.
Oganov, who has previously been managed by Kostya Tszyu and was recently being trained by another boxing legend Jeff Fenech, is regarded as one of the most explosive punchers in boxing today.
But he is also untested with his best win coming over veteran Richard Grant in two rounds in Anaheim in his last fight.
Zuniga actually took Oganovās place against faded contender Antwun Echols on the Hatton-Castillo card, scoring a one-sided decision after looking to be on the verge of a stoppage win late in the fight.
Zuniga also scored a decision over Jose Luis Zertuche last September to make it two high-profile wins following his ninth-round stoppage in 2005.
His record is 19-2-1 (16 KOs).
The pair will fight for the IBO super-middleweight title.
discuss in FORUM