Fury and Klitschko in intense face-off (VIDEO)
Tyson Fury and current reigning multiple title champion Wladimir Klitschko went face-to-face today at the London press conference earlier:-
Exciting Prospect Joshua Nelson talks debut, boxing aspirations and sparring Commey
By Michael J Jones
LAST SATURDAY at York Hall, South London lightweight Joshua Nelson made a perfect start to his pro campaign with a blistering first-round knock-out of Bulgaria’s Todor Boyadjiev. Occurring on the undercard of the Southern Area title match between Johnny Garton and Martin Welsh, the 26 year old Nelson rocked the visitor with a left hook before a follow up flurry brought the referee’s swift intervention.
Catford’s Nelson thus made an impressive debut and sent his 80 plus supporters home happy. Describing his fighting style as “an aggressive counter-puncher”, Nelson has benefitted from a stellar camp with gym mate Richard Commey. Ghana’s Commey is the current Commonwealth lightweight champion and 22-0 with 20 by clean knock-out.
“I just came out behind the jab and was throwing it upstairs and downstairs” Joshua tells Livefight the day after his successful pro bow. “Then I was following my jab with the right-hand when I caught him with a good left-hook and he stepped back hurt. I just took my opportunity and finished him off.”
“I wasn’t really a puncher in the amateurs but I could always hit. It’s just in the amateurs it’s about foot-work and point-scoring and you never really sit down on your punches. I never really got the chance to show any power back then but I know I can score a knock-out with my left or my right.”
The new pro, who boxes from the orthodox stance, only took up boxing at the age of 21 and admits he never fulfilled his potential in the unpaid code though still enjoyed some notable success.
“I had 24 amateur bouts in all and won 13. I lost a very bad decision in the final of the Haringey Box Cup and also reached the final of two London ABA Novice tournaments. I was never really pushed as an amateur though and lost a lot of focus as a result.”
“For my debut I prepared for four months with my trainer Carl Lokko and worked a lot with Richard Commey.”
The 26 year old prospect trains at the talent-laden Pro SW gym in Loughton alongside Commey and the Smith brothers Mitchell and Jez (13-0 and 3-0 respectively).
“Sparring Commey is intense” continues Joshua. “The very first time we sparred and he hit me I had to take a bit of time out but as I’ve progressed I’m making him work more and I’m more competitive. He still holds back a shade but, in his fights, he never looks for the knock-out but gets guys out of there with an accumulation of punches and wears them down.”
Back to his own career, what is next following his short-lived first contest?
“It’s been confirmed I’m next out on December 5th for my second fight. It’s my intention to be as busy as possible. Obviously I’ll be listening to my team but this is what I’ve chosen to do and I’m willing to give it absolutely everything and do whatever it takes.”
“What do I do to chill out? I like to cook” Nelson answers Livefight’s question without any hint of humour. “I’m currently into Turkey. My sponsors ‘Prep 2 B lean’ give me plenty of ideas for food and their guy ‘Biggie’ said to me Turkey is excellent for stamina and can improve it by about thirty percent.”
Joshua would like to thank his sponsors Prep 2 B Lean and Streetwise Management, his team and fans plus PR manager Tim Rickson.
You can follow him on Twitter @NeverNelson and Instragram TKONelson as well as Facebook.
Marquez might get tempting offer for Pacquiao comeback
Juan Manuel Marquez, whom has been inactive since his whitewash of Mike Alvarado in May last year, might be the recipient of a tempting offer from Top Rank to share the ring once again with Manny Pacquiao.
The Filipino is said to be fully healed following successful shoulder surgery, which he underwent in the aftermath following his points loss to Floyd Mayweather back in May this year and is all but waiting for the final 'sign off' from his doctor.
The 41 year old Mexican veteran allegedly heads a list of fighters including Lucas Matthysse - and Pacquiao is eager to get back in the ring as soon as possible.
"Manny has told me that he wants his next fight to be no later than the second week of April, that's because he's going to spend the month campaigning for the presidential elections." said promoter Bob Arum.
The veteran promoter also discussed with Boxingscene, that Britain's Kell Brook and Amir Khan are also possibilities that he was looking at for the returning Pacquiao.
Rising Lloyd “Lightning Bolt” Ellett targets British title assault after Oct 2nd test
By Michael J Jones
THE STAGE was set in March of this year for Brighton’s Lloyd Ellett to show what he could do to a wider audience. Having thrilled many fight fans with his all-action style, the talented 28 year old was to box on TV for the first time for new promoter Frank Warren. The Boxnation contest was on the undercard of the British and Commonwealth match between cruiserweight punchers Ovill McKenzie and Matty Askin but the “Lightning Bolt’s” bout didn’t quite go according to plan.
“I ended up with a guy who was far bigger than me” Ellett tells Livefight about his latest victory. “My opponent was rated as a super-middleweight so I had to put some weight on to meet him half way. He managed to make the limit but God knows what he weighed on the night he was huge.”
Said opponent Raimonds Sniedze didn’t have the most formidable record at 11-25-2 coming in but posed the smaller man some problems. The 6’2” Latvian towered above Ellett and made good use of his long arms and size. Ellett would eventually win by the margin of 78-75 but never quite found his best form during eight largely frustrating rounds.
“When the fight started I felt the weight of his punches straight away” admits Lloyd who raised his record to 17-0 (4) with the win. “I wasn’t happy at all immediately after the fight, I thought I could have done more and looked better, but in hindsight, I was in with a much bigger opponent and I showed I could adapt in a fight.”
“As soon as those opening exchanges happened I got on my toes and boxed and beat a tricky opponent. Even though it wasn’t my best performance I still thought I won every round.”
"It was a great experience fighting on Boxnation I enjoyed the whole process and look forward to being on there again soon."
The undefeated Ellett will next box on October 2nd when he headlines at the Metropole Hotel in his beloved Brighton. Even though the show won’t be on TV, Ellett is promising another exciting night for his loyal fans.
“We’ve still not got an opponent yet as it’s still getting weighed up but I’m hoping it’s a bit of a step-up fight. I’m waiting on my manager Scott Welch to confirm in the next few days. Training is going brilliant, it’s the last couple of weeks now so we’ll be tapering it all down ready for the fight. I’ve been getting top quality sparring with (11-0 super-middleweight) Darryll Williams, (former British title challenger) Bradley Skeete and (15-1 welterweight contender) Johnny Garton so I can’t wait.”
Providing there are no shocks next month what are his plans for the remainder of the year?
“I leave those decisions to my team but I really hope I can get this fight out of the way and be out again before the end of the year. I want to be boxing for those titles as soon as possible it doesn’t matter whether it’s the English belt or whatever; all the work will be to go towards the British title.”
A recent domestic slug-fest which clearly divided opinion was the ten-round English title bout between defending champion Navid Mansouri and Sam Sheedy. While most thought Sheedy had done enough the champion retained by close decision after one of the UK fights of the year.
“It was an exciting fight and very close” comments the “Lightning Bolt”. “At the time I thought Sheedy had nicked it but it was too close to argue too much. Mansouri is definitely a man I’d like to face in the near future. There’s so many decent fighters at this weight at the minute and we’re all in the mix so it’s inevitable we’ll be facing each other soon.”
Lloyd would like to thank his team, all of his loyal fans and also his sponsors The Shaw Group and KSD Salt Services and also PR man Tim Rickson.
Tickets for the October 2nd fight are available at http://crusaderevents.com/collections/crusader-events-presents
You can also follow Lloyd on Twitter @lightningbolt07
Fitzpatrick: Groves will regret deleting Twitter
Trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick has lifted the lid on the aftermath of the Badou Jack defeat, and believes it's unlikely they will work together again in the future.
Speaking to Owen Ryan at the Irish newspaper Clare Champion website, the Swindon-based Fitzpatrick describes an emotional and chaotic aftermath in Vegas.
"Since the fight we haven't really spoken, to be honest with you. His wife was with him after the fight and she was very upset and she wasn't necessarily saying the right things to one or two of us around him so there was no point in being in that situation where there was only going to be uncomfortableness and no chat." said Fitzpatrick
Reports from Vegas indicate that Groves had not only stormed from the ring, but had even checked out of the MGM Grand hotel before even the post-fight press conference had commenced.
"He's deleted his twitter account now, and I hate to say it, but there's an old saying of decide in haste and repent at leisure. It took him a lot of hard work over two years to build those followers. I think he had a quarter of a million followers and that's a lot of people who are mainly there to support you, enjoy what you do and like you.
"He has upset a lot of them because mine has blown up with abuse. Why hasn't he even said something to his fans that spent thousands of pounds travelling to see him and so on and so forth. You can understand that and I think he's made the decision too quickly."
You can read the rest of the article here at the Clare Champion website:
Paddy Fitzpatrick interview with Clare Champion
Bradley Saunders talks Liverpool return welcomes grudge match with Hibbert
By Michael J Jones
TOMORROW night at the Liverpool Olympia, North East star Bradley Saunders engages in his second fight of the year against durable Frenchman Renald Garrido. The eight rounder will take place on the undercard of Stephen Smith’s IBF world title eliminator, yet Saunders also finds himself in a critical contest where losing is not an option.
The 29 year old light-welterweight, now 12-0 (9), has had several spells on the side-lines in the last year or so due to injuries and it’s vital he starts gaining some much-needed momentum in his promising career.
After a gruelling five-week camp at the MGM gym Marbella, Saunders was brimming with his usual confidence when speaking to Livefight a few days ago and, while admitting to struggling to come to terms with his set-backs, insists he is back to his very best and ready to play catch-up with whoever is put in front of him.
“Training has gone absolutely brilliant for this fight I’ve just been up in the North East doing some strength and conditioning work with Ian Glass but I’ve also completed five weeks in Spain with Danny Vaughan. I tell you something my trainer Danny is the real deal with boxing training and I’m feeling really good for this fight.”
After a glittering amateur career which saw him win numerous British titles and compete in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Saunders turned pro in early 2012. The Sedgefield prospect quickly earned a reputation as one to watch as he halted many known tough guys in his first couple of years punching for pay.
After moving promoters to sign with Matchroom late last year, Saunders was inactive from a decision victory over Ivans Levickis last November until a knock-out win in Hull in March of this year. Another injury has seen him remain inactive for six months since that stoppage of Italian Stephane Benito and the unbeaten Saunders faces no push-over for tomorrow against the 14-11-1 Garrido…
“I know what Garrido brings and to be honest I couldn’t ask for anything else” comments the former amateur stand-out. “I know he drew with the Welsh lad (Lewis) Rees, floored Robbie Davies Jr, went the distance with (Serhiy) Fedchenko and Jack Catterall and has never been stopped but I’m 29 now and need to get a move on. I know he’ll come to fight and will want to work on the front foot.”
“Garrido has called me out before to face him so he’s getting what he wants but I hope he’s not thinking I’ll be below par like in my last two fights; Garrido will be facing the proper Bradley Saunders. I’m not over-looking him and am in great shape and ready.”
The big-punching prospect is also returning in an eight-round bout; a distance he has only navigated once in his three-and-a half year career.
“I’m not worried at all about the rounds” Bradley quickly retorts. “One of my best performances was when I beat Peter McDonagh and I had no problem going eight rounds then. I’ve also been sparring Derry Mathews and Jake Hesse (4-0 all by KO) and going the rounds comfortably. I tend to get stronger as the fight progresses if anything.”
“I’m boxing Saturday at 10st 3 and I can still make the 10st weight limit with no worries. The plan is to get this fight out of the way and hopefully get out again twice more this year. I’ve lost some ground in my career and, now I’m back to full capacity, I’m looking forward to the future again.”
“There was definitely a time when I wondered whether boxing was too hard a sport to be carrying on with one arm but I feel back to my best now. I’ve had a very good camp and feel good in myself again. I’ll say it again; I will face anybody my manager Daniel Kinahan and Eddie Hearn puts in front of me.”
A fighter often linked with Saunders is Dave Ryan. The tough Derby man was twice scheduled to face the Sedgefield star before the contests were aborted. Ryan last weekend lost his Commonwealth belt when being defeated by a back injury in his rubber match with old foe John Wayne Hibbert.
Did Bradley see that fight?
“Yes it was a bit of a joke wasn’t it? Ryan had been well on top throughout, loses that way with his back and John Wayne Hibbert celebrating like that….”
This writer senses some unusual needle creep into Saunders voice as he continues…
“I never talk badly about any fellow fighter but John Wayne Hibbert has called me out numerous times and seems to drop my name into things regularly. He says he’s stronger than Bradley Saunders so let’s see. I’ll come down to his backyard with ten thousand Geordies for him to make his first defence and we’ll see who is stronger.”
Bradley would like to thank his sponsors ESRG Group, Peter Hall of webuyanyhouse.com, Ian Glass and Muscle World HQ, Lynn and Dave Evans, Andrew Agarth, Cam-era, The Sofa & Bed Store, DSD construction and also Danny Vaughan, Matthew Macklin and the rest of his team at the MGM plus manager Daniel Kinahan and PR Manager Tim Rickson.
“I’d also like to say a massive thanks for all my fans from the North East who are coming down to support me in Liverpool. The support has been brilliant and I can’t thank everyone enough.”
In the main event, Stephen Smith (22-1) will face Devis Boschiero (37-3-1) which will be a final eliminator for the IBF World Super Featherweight title, currently held by Jose Pedraza (20-0).
The Italian known as ‘Boom Boom’ has already fought for a World title, earning his shot at the WBC World Super Featherweight title in November 2011 after reaching 30 fights unbeaten. He was edged out via a controversial split decision against Takahiro Ao in Tokyo.
Following Scotty Cardle withdrawing from his maiden defence of his British lightweight title against former British super-featherweight champion Gary Buckland (30-6), the tough Welshman now takes on Liverpool’s Sean Dodd over eight rounds.
Tickets are priced at £40, £60, £120 VIPs and are available from Team Saunders on 07944 695 367 or from the official website http://bradleysaunders.co.uk/
To follow Bradley Saunders on Twitter click here @bradsaunders86
The Liverpool bill will be screened live on Sky Sports.
Tyson Fury talks Joshua hype, Klitschko and Demons
iFLTV talk to unbeaten heavyweight Tyson Fury, about Anthony Joshua vs Dillian Whyte, his forthcoming fight with Klitschko and depression.
Tom Farrell added to Matchroom's Olympia bill
Unbeaten Liverpool welterweight Tom Farrell has his fifth contest in just 12 months on Saturday September 19 when he faces Newark’s experienced, Fonz Alexander, on the undercard of Stephen Smith’s world title eliminator at the city’s famous Olympia.
A former top amateur with Knowsley Vale ABC, Farrell sees the contest as another good learning fight as he prepares himself for what he hopes will be another busy season ahead. The 25-year old also revealed that he sees his future in the wide open super-lightweight division.
He said: “Five fights in my first year as a pro is just what I needed. I’m learning all the time and I feel that, with a similar number of fights this year, I can start to make my mark and move up that ladder. I want titles of course, but I’m not going to rush and risk that by being unprepared or inexperienced. I’m training well and have a great team around me, advising me and helping me prepare properly. I can make light-welter easy enough and thats the divison I'll be looking to target as my career progresses.”
In the past, Farrell has admitted that he perhaps didn’t do as good at amateur level as he should have done but, as a professional, his unblemished record so far would indicate that he is also ready to take a step up, something that should come sooner rather than later. “As long as I keep winning and learning and improving then those fights will come. A couple more wins and I’ll be looking to step up and maybe start to look at others and target titles later in the season. I’m concentrating on the Alexander fight for now, but yes, this should be a big year for me and I can’t wait to get back in the ring. The more fights the better really.”
Farrell v Alexander is part of a nine-fight Matchroom card at the Olympia, topped by Liverpool’s Stephen Smith v Italian Devis Boschiero in a final eliminator for the IBF super-featherweight title.
Follow Tom on twitter @TomFarrell89